CHAPTER I

(FIRST ENCOUNTER)

Actually, we haven’t really met personally right away; it was I who saw her first…with her BF…OUCH!!! It was one of those rush hours in the afternoon, where every working people in Bangkok converge at the BTS. My school is just a walking distance from the BTS as well as the Condo that we live in are just a block away from the station. That’s why my mom purchased a BTS Student card so that I won’t have to bother her every day for my fare to school. Although we actually go to the same school we don’t go together since she has to be at the school earlier than all of the students, or else her head will be all over her face.

I was actually standing and clinging to the BTS hand railing and was squeezed in between two smelly people; I have to occasionally hold my breath from time to time so that I won’t have to vomit inside the train.  There she was, with her BF and along with some of her Thai friends. I couldn’t resist but stare at her for a longer period of time, I liked her smile, her even and pearly white teeth, her cute little eyes staring at her boyfriend once in a while. I even thought that she looks like one of their Actresses here; the only thing that distracts me was her huge eyeglass that destroys all those wonderful adjectives that I could use to describe her face. Aside from that little annoying and unwanted as well as out of place accessory, she was PERFECT. Then, she looked at me and our eyes locked at each other. I couldn’t move even if my mind is telling me to look away and stop staring at her, unfortunately my eyes were against my mind’s will. It pinned its sight to this beautiful creature who is staring back right at me. Then, she SMILED…what the….SHE SMILED!!!! I couldn’t move and I wanted to smile back at her but I saw that it was not meant for me but to her Boyfriend who keeps on shoving his face into her, I lowered my stare. Well, I thought it was actually hopeless that I was just making a fool out of myself. Me, a foreigner in this land will be able to have a beautiful Thai as my girlfriend? Huh! I wish.

Finally, after several instances of glaring and occasionally staring at each other, intentionally or accidentally, they both got off at Asok terminal. However, before they disembarked she turned her head and glanced at me before they took off, I felt something in my heart it was as if something pricked it and I felt some excitement inside of me and at the same time a glimmer of hope. Hoping that someday our path will cross again and hopefully I’d be able to at least get her name or something. Of course I also hope that next time I see her, she’s not with her boyfriend. However, judging the way she actually clings to him, what I thought of is a bit impossible.

Well, at least now, I have a reason to get excited when boarding the BTS every afternoon because I know deep inside me that I will always be longing to see that face every time I will be boarding the train. Who knows, I might bump with her up close and personal and finally get to know her. I just hope that she could understand English because if in case she doesn’t know how to speak the language it will be impossible for both of us to communicate and understand each other. I wonder if she knows how to play Charade?

So, I arrived home still smiling and felt something strange inside. Today, I felt that something good is up ahead and I could feel it in my bones that the next time we meet it will be an unforgettable one.