CHAPTER 2

THE EXHANGE OF NAMES

The following day is quite different for me, I could feel it in my bones that unlike the previous days I am actually getting excited to board the BTS. My guts is telling me that this day will be the most unforgettable day for me, but I just couldn’t point my fingers to it.

Even my Mom noticed such glow and excitement in me…of course I can’t tell her what it is as she would be teasing me over and over again about it. After my mom left early for school, we then prepared ourselves to go to school.

All of us goes to the same school where our Parents teaches, as I’ve heard the school offered our parents certain discounts and scholarship considering that both of them are working there. Anyhow, the three of us then boarded the Train and while there my mind was actually wondering if that Thai girl would also be there.

However, my hopes and  wishes were shattered to a million pieces since from the time we boarded the plane until now that we are about to disembark I haven’t seen that girl.

“Are you expecting to see someone here?” Asks my younger sister who’s been wondering why my neck seems to be stretching from time to time.

“Ahmm…why would you say that, as if I know lots of people here.” I replied trying to evade the question.

Finally we heard from the PA that we’ve arrived at the station where we are supposed to get off, I grab my younger sister and head out of the train.

Somehow deep within me I felt a certain emptiness, Yes, I think I felt sad not being able to see her this morning. After my class, I spent mostly of my time watching Thai students playing football while some are just spending time with some of their friends/schoolmates or classmates. While I was all alone wondering as to will I be able to meet that nerdy beautiful Thai girl on the train.

My entire day indeed with a bit of emptiness and just like the other days, I have to go ahead of Mom and my siblings in going home.

I then boarded the BTS train and squeezed myself as the train is already filled with commuters, as I try to move inside the train I heard someone groaned. When I looked down I was stepping on someone’s shoes,…I was dumbfounded to recognize who’s shoes was it.

It was of that beautiful Thai girl, our glances met and I could see that she was hurt. It was then that I saw small teardrops falling from her eyes down to her cheeks. I felt some guilt thinking that it was my stepping on her foot that made her cry.

“Kotot…kotot na khrap.”I asked apologetically…(By the way, this is just one of the few Thai words I learnt in my stay in Thailand…it means I’m sorry)

She sniffled silently and when I look around I saw the other passengers staring at me. It was as if I’ve committed a murder or something. I asked for an apology once again hoping to stop her from shedding tears for I could see that it is now pouring like rain.

“Kotot na khrap…” I said it for three times while doing the “wai” (a gesture used by Thai by putting hands together and place it below the nose or chin).

“Mai pen rhai kha…” She replied and I could hear my heart beat like a snare drum as she said those words to me.

She spoke…yesssss…..I was filled with excitement and smiled at her. But she lowered her stare and continued crying. I took my handkerchief out of my pocket and hand it to her. She was surprised at what I just did and shook her head.

Since my Pasa-Thai is limited I decided to speak in English, “it’s okay, and you can use it. I feel guilty that I made you cry…it’s my fault.”

She took the hanky and wiped the tears in her cheeks and looked at me as if she was trying to figure out where I am from.

“You are no Thai?” She asked.

“No,” I replied. “Khun Philippine, I can’t speak pasa-thai yet.” Then, I took that opportunity in apologizing once more for stepping on her toes.

“I am really sorry that I made you cry, I didn’t see your feet.”

“It’s okay, it was not the reason why I was crying” she replied and smiled at me then her facial expression changed instantly and went back to being sad.

I knew that there is something that is bothering and whatever it is I already have an idea, to lighten her up I introduced myself to her.

“By the way, my name is James” I gently extend my hand for a handshake, she accepted it and for the first time I felt something strange, a feeling of excitement as I could feel that my heart is beating rapidly inside me.

“I am Chai-lai,”after saying her name she gently squeeze my hand as I did with hers.

It was at that moment that we’ve heard the announcement from the PA system that we are approaching Asok station.

“I- I have to get off here” she said.

“Y-yes, I know. I used to see you get off here with someone. The train came to full stop and I have forgotten that I was still holding her hand.

She smiled at me and pointed using her lips towards her hand, it was then that I realized that I still holding her hands tightly. I was a bit embarrassed and I felt like a whole bucket of Ice was poured to my head and quickly let go of her hand.

She head towards the train’s door and towards the stairs but before she totally disappear from my view, I saw her look back once again and with those wet and beautiful eyes she smiled.