02 I issues

Chapter 2

"Why are you helping me?" I asked Adrian. We had talked a little to kill time and uncovered some things about each other: he was the star quarterback of his school, was an only child, was going to college this fall (I didn't bother asking where) and was from California but never stayed there permanently.

In turn, I had told him that I was captivated by cars and architecture, was the student body president, was born and brought up in New York, had an elder brother and wasn't sure about my college plan.

We shared a friendly banter, and I realized he was a nice guy, well as nice as I'd let him be. I had taken meaningless jabs at him which he had either laughed off or teased me about.

"I would tell you but then I'd have to kill you. And I kind of enjoy your snarky company, Olivia," he replied cheekily. I moved towards him with a fake smile on my face and flicked him on the forehead, he groaned.

"Geez, don't you know you can't hit the driver?" He said in a mocking tone, and I rolled my eyes. He could never answer my question in one go.

Then he moved one hand to soothe his head and muttered, "Violent woman." I just smirked at him in return.

"I'll become more violent, if you don't give me real answers," I threatened playfully.

"I didn't know you liked it rough, babe. I'm always down for you getting rough with me, but can we save your claws for the bedroom?" He teased me, I moved forward to smack his head again, but he caught my hand in time. He then gripped it and moved it on his lap. I felt a sudden warmth creeping onto me and my cheeks felt flushed.

"Let go of my hand," I told him off. I couldn't handle the sudden onslaught of tingles. And this guy somehow became the one triggering them. I tried to pull my hand but his ironclad grip prevented me from doing so. That's why you should work out more, Olivia.

"I'm rather comfortable in this position. I've contained your feistiness and have your hand in mine," he said with an aggravating smirk plastered on his face.

I rolled my eyes at his childish antics.

No matter what I tried, he didn't budge and I started losing my patience. I gave him my brightest smile while he kept smirking at me, unfazed by my change of tactic.

So I did something that would catch him off guard. I gently bit my lip and fluttered my eyelashes, while leaning towards him. It seemed to work on all men, but this guy had proven to be an exception to all my previous tactics. But when I noticed the dark look he was shooting me, I knew I had hit the target. Slowly, I moved my free hand to grip his thigh and stroked him lightly. His eyes widened instantly and he let go of my hand.

"Uh... Olivia," he stuttered. Adrian, the guy who was probably the God of confidence and conceit, stuttered. I wanted to pat myself on the back. I retracted my hand from his thigh and turned back in my seat with a smug grin on my face.

Two can play a game, asshole.

He was gripping the steering wheel like his life depended on it. When it finally looked like he had calmed down, I broke the silence and repeated my question.

"So, why are you helping me?" I asked and he groaned, in no mood to be my informant. But then the spark came back to his eyes and I knew the answer that was coming wouldn't be a straight one.

"It's fate. I've been waiting for this day my whole life. For me to become your knight in shining armour. Your word is my command, princess." He smiled at me, and I finally noticed his dimples. His adorable dimples. Don't let the exterior fool you, Olivia. He's a conceited, evasive, and exasperating jerk. Drill it into your head.