Chapter 18

Ralph sneaked back into the dining-room when most of the guests were enjoying supper. He saw his mother seated at a table, talking to Lord and Lady Hepworth. The last thing Ralph wanted to do was join them. His mother would just continually hint that Miss Hepworth would make him the perfect wife. However, it seemed rude and churlish to avoid them all evening. What could they possibly do to force him into a marriage at the supper table?

'Ralph, there you are,' his mother had said when he eventually reached her table.

When he had sat down, he then had to endure the painfully dull conversation. His mother was in the process of giving Lord Hepworth a history of all his ancestors. 'We can trace our line all the way back to the Conqueror,' she had said proudly.

Lord Hepworth seemed to be very impressed by this fact and had encouraged Lady Huntingdon to continue to tell him about the Fallbrook family history. While his mother was talking to Lord and Lady Hepworth, Ralph tried, in vain, to engage Miss Hepworth in conversation. He had asked her whether or not she was enjoying herself at the ball. The girl only blushed and whispered, 'yes, my lord.' He soon gave up trying and resigned himself to his mother's conversation.

According to Lady Hepworth, it was her daughter's first ball, and she still had a set of country dances that no one had claimed. Ralph, having been manoeuvred into a corner by her ladyship, felt that he had to ask Miss Hepworth to dance for the second time that evening. Even though it was perfectly acceptable to ask a lady to dance twice, it was well known in the ton that he never danced twice with a lady at a social function. He knew that this dance would cause speculation amongst the other guests about a forthcoming announcement proclaiming a betrothal between him and Miss Hepworth.

He had expected Helen to join Alice and Tom for supper. Even though he could not sit with her in such a public place, especially after their waltz, he still looked for her amongst the guests. However, he could not see her in the dining-room

As his mother continued to talk, his mind began to wander back to when he had first arrived in the arbour with Helen. The romantic setting and the beautiful woman had made the moment special. He had not taken her down there to make love to her. He had just wanted to give her a moment of romance that she would always remember.

He had carefully controlled his own desires so that she could fully enjoy her own. He had taken great pleasure watching her lose herself in the moment. After the kiss, they had stood, her back against his chest, looking at the stars. He felt so close to her, as they gazed at the universe as it stretched out in front of them.

'Ralph,' she had said wistfully, 'I wish this moment could last forever.'

He held her even closer, but he had sensed a change in her that he could not fathom.

'Ralph,' she had said, this time facing him and looking into his eyes, 'before we go, kiss me one more time.'

Ralph had every intention of kissing her tenderly on the lips, but when they met all his carefully constructed control vanished. He felt himself slide into an overwhelming vortex of passionate desire. His mind that had been firmly in control of his body had been defeated, and he surrendered to the glorious sensations he had previously been fighting. He had felt her hands move down his body, igniting his desire with every teasing touch. He was almost at the point of no return. If he did not stop now, it would be too late.

'Don't stop,' she had said, her voice ragged as he withdrew, 'please, Ralph.'

It was one of the most difficult decisions he had ever made, but it would not be honourable for him to make love to her in such a public place. Ralph took a step back, he had to put some distance between them before it was too late. It took several minutes for him to regain control over his wayward body.