The end

In the following days, word started to spread around Metro City about a beautiful bird that would fly through the sky, and if you were especially lucky, you would be able to hear its song. Rumors started to spread that seeing the bird meant good luck and hearing its song meant that fortune was headed your way. It seemed the mystery surrounding the blue bird with the red markings only made people that much more awestruck by it.

From what most of Metro City could tell, it had appeared out of nowhere.

Of course, this wasn't true. Phenias had come from Tenma's hands and every night he would fly back to Tenma's apartment, where he would nest in his very own charging station, which was mounted on the wall in Tenma's private workshop.

"You could fly way further," Astro reminded the bird one late evening it had come home. "You don't need to get back to this power station specifically."

"But I want to come back here!" Phenias returned. "Is that a big problem?"

"No, not at all," Tenma smirked, amused.

"Are you sure?" Phenias pressed. "I... I did awful things to you, creator. I don't deserve this."

"Well, Phenias," Tenma said, "you're not the only one who needed a second chance at some point. Isn't that right, Astro?" he asked, patting Astro on the head.

" I see what you mean, father," Astro smiled.

Phenias continued his routine of flying out early each morning and coming back home late in the evening, though suddenly one day he was not alone. An old and worn out robot stood in front of Tenma's door.

Confused, Tenma looked at the old maid robot.

"Creator," Phenias spoke from where he sat on the maid robot's shoulder. "This is Tabitha. You probably don't remember her, but she was in the robot village."

"Phenias, isn't Tabitha supposed to be in police custody?" he asked. "I can't hide her here. If they find her here with me, I'll be in serious trouble. Do you realize that?"

"But, creator," Phenias tried. "Tabitha used to be a maid at a big house, and all she wants is to be a maid again, to help humans. You can fix her, can't you? You can make her new again, even make her look different!"

"Well.... I erh," Tenma hesitated, stepping backwards.

"Sir," the robot maid then spoke quietly. "I... I was once part of a family, a human family. When I was with them, I was needed. I loved it there; that's how I want to live. I don't want to live running from place to place, always trying to hide. I want to be of use. You're my only hope. Please, sir!"

For a moment, Tenma stared at her, then sighed deeply. "Fine," he said. "Come in, quickly." He gently put a hand on Tabitha's back and guided her inside. "Okay, let's sit down for a bit." He showed her to the living room and they sat down. "What exactly is it you would want from me?"

"Sir?" Tabitha looked up.

Tenma exhaled deeply as he folded his hands. "I can indeed repair you, I can modify you as well, and if you wish to be at peace, it'll probably be for the better if I change your appearance. However, I want to make absolutely sure that your future body will be a body you yourself are pleased with." He leaned forwards. "So, Tabitha, tell me about yourself," he prompted. "Tell me what it is you like to do, and what you wish to do in the future."

Astounded, Tabitha looked up at Tenma. "Yes, sir," she said. "Well, to be honest I... I've always wanted to be able to plant flowers."

For three hours, Tenma listened to Tabitha. He asked questions, wrote down her answers, and listened intensely. By then it was night and Tenma went to bed. However the following morning he gently put Tabitha down on his work table. "I'm going to turn you off now," Tenma informed her in a gentle voice. "It'll be like you are a sleep, and when you wake up, your body will have been modified and changed."