01

───── ❝ Lab Rat ❞ ─────

"Hey, Meg, come sit here"
I turned around, thinking i didn't hear that correctly. My class of forensic psychologists consists of 10 people, besides me. Five of which i'm pretty sure can't stand me. Those exact five people, Casey, Riley, Paige, Christoffer and Lily, and they were asking me to come sit with them.

This is sure to be good.
I grab my book bag and my binder and make my way to their desks. 
"Have a seat girl." Paige says in an overly polished and sleezy voice. I give them a long, sarcastic glare before pulling out a chair to sit down.
"What's this about?" i say. Was that too harsh? Oh, well.

"We just wanted to ask if you know anything about the next assignment we're supposed to have," Casey says. "because we overheard something."
"How should i know that? It's probably gonna be another essay on some unsolved murder case."i tell them. Is this really why they're bothering me?

"Bingo.." Christoffer says quietly, then continues to stare brainwashed into his phone.My eyes squint at the boy, "And what did you 'overhear' exactly? " i ask.
"If what we overheard is true, then it might actually be dangerous. Paige, i'm gonna faint."
"Shut up Riley. Nobody is going to kill you." she said, then turned to me. "Supposedly, we are gonna be evaluating a criminal." Paige says in a hushed tone. I give her a stupid look.

"Yeah no shit. We do that all the time. You know you're studying forensic psychology, right? Now i'm going back to my seat, before lecture starts." i grab a hold of my stuff, frustrated.
"Meg, do you think i'm stupid? I mean we're gonna be evaluating a real criminal, in person! Not somebody from the fucking internet or news papers." She starts getting fussy. 

"Alright, don't hyperventilate on me now. What do you mean in person? Are we going to prison or something?" i ask them.

"Worse. Psyche ward. My dad told me, he's buddies with our chancellor." Chris says.
"So that's how you got into this school too, right?" i laugh and Chris flips me the bird.

"Well.. if what you're saying true, then i'm excited. You guys should be too, finally real work. For once it's not some random stale case on the internet." i sigh.
"Alright Megan. We all know very well that you're an antisocial person with an evolving drug problem. But now you're starting to show some serious psychopathic tendencies too. Drop the act, we're all scared, and you should be too."

"I've never met a real criminal in my life. i feel sick." Riley whispered.
"Shut up Riley."

"Drug problem?" i burst out laughing, "great evaluation Paige. Don't worry, you'll do great. Just don't let the crazy person rip out your extensions."

"What's all this commotion about? Megan, sit down please. I have an important announcement for you students today."
Professor Carter walked in and confirmed what i had heard from this very challenged group of individuals. 

"This time things are going to be very different. it's gonna be difficult but all of you will get a sense of what it's like to be a forensic psychologist. This assignment is a crucial part of your education and it is immensely important that you do good."

"fucking hell.." i heard Riley whisper under her breath. I'm pretty sure professor Carter heard her too, but didn't want her to be in trouble. I don't think i've ever met a nicer and wiser person than him. He's been my role model for almost four years now, and the thought of graduating in a few months and saying goodbye to him is a tough pill to swallow.

"Open your notebooks, i need you all to write down what i'm saying, 'cause this is really important. First things first. You are meeting Mr Viktor Vanderwick. His case is very recent, and you can read up on it online. He's been incarcerated for about four months now. 
Going into a criminal psyche ward is difficult on it's own.But this is what you guys have studied and trained for and what you've chosen to do for the rest of your lives. I don't want you guys to get scared the minute you step into the ward. But that is inevitable. Sounds. Screams. Don't let that get to you, these people are insane. You are there with a guard, and to solely do your job. Which brings me to my next point. 
Your job will be to give me a complete psychiatric evaluation of the patient. Try to get as much out of him as possible. Use the tactics you've learned to get answers out of him. I want a diagnosis at the end of this program. 
This is also very important: each of you will see him three times in total. Once a month, on a specific date and schedule that will be set. You will all  have two hours with him each time. "

"Excuse me, professor. Isn't this like.. taking it a bit too far? This guy is really dangerous. I don't want to be in a room with him for two hours. What if he jumps me?" Paige asks frantically.

Chris also looked like he saw a ghost. This is what happens when you decide to study forensic psychology because you think it's 'cool'. You piss your pants when stuff gets real. But i'm ready for this.