Choosing Day Ceremony

I throw my naturally cinnamon red hair into a ponytail and dress into the outfit that's a dead giveaway for Candor. "Misty, time to go." my mother tells me softly as she appears at my doorway. I smile back slightly. She immediately notices something's wrong, crosses my room and takes a seat on my bed as I inspect my outfit in the mirror. Something an Abnegation like my friend, Beatrice, could never say they have done. "Nervous?" she questions with concern beaming through her warm chocolate brown eyes. Ones that I didn't inherit from her. I have sparkling emerald eyes like my father. Torin got her eyes. I sigh. "Yes. I'm just not sure what direction I want to go." she smiled in her motherly way. "Whatever you choose it could never change how much I love you Misty Crystal Cole." I smile at her and cross the room to embrace her, as this could be one of the few times I could ever do so again. A tear slips from my eye and lands on her Candor themed ensemble.

"What about dad? Will he love me just as much? I don't want him to be ashamed of me, I just want to be happy." I felt her nod as we were still hugging tightly. "Misty, he just doesn't want to lose you. He loves Torin and yourself more than words could describe. So do I. He just doesnt know how to handle losing the two of you." she pulled back gently from the embrace and smiled warmly. "come on Misty. We have to go to the ceremony." I nodded and made my way down to the kitchen with her. Torin sat at the table lacing his boots in a rather angry, rough manner as dad glared at the wall. I looked between the two of them trying to understand when suddenly mom clears her throat softly. Dads attention, as well as Torins, are clearly given to my mother. "Ready to go?" she questions cautiously as she feels the tension radiating through the small room. Dad grunts a response and Torin nods at my mother.

We arrive at the large crowded hall where the ceremony will be held and take our seats among the rest of the Candor. A tall blonde woman from Erudite steps up to the podium at the front of the massive room. "Welcome! Today our young ones will decide wether to be in Amity, the faction that values peace and friendliness. Erudite, the people who value knowledge. Candor, the ones who value honesty and truth. Abnegation, the simple folk who value selflessness. And finally, Dauntless," she has to pause as the loudest cheers of all of the factions erupt from the Dauntless section. She purses her lips. As they quiet down enough, she continues. "...Dauntless, the ones who value bravery." She then begins calling names. A Dauntless born girl named Makenna chooses first. She picks up the knife and slices it quickly across her hand. She holds her hand over the Erudite bowl and her blood falls into it. "Amity" is called over the room and cheers erupt from the Amity section. I zone out from the rest of the ceremony until I hear someone's name. "Prior, Caleb." I snap to attention as my eyes follow him up to the stage. I glance over at Beatrice quickly and see the tense expression on her face. She notices me and gives me a tight smile. I force one back. We're both nervous. I look back up to the stage to see him pull the knife across his skin creating a cut. He clenched his hand and blood oozed from it. He dipped his hand over the Erudite bowl and his blood drips in. "Erudite!!" shocked, I snapped my head towards the Priors and you could see the small smile on Mrs.Priors face. But you could clearly see the anger on Mr.Priors face. Beatrice, after seeing the reaction from her father, shifts in her seat uncomfortably. I knew why.
"Prior, Beatrice" she got up and slowly made her way onto the stage. She slowly took the knife into her hand and made the same cut as everyone else on her small hand. She hesitated as the blood came from her cut and at first, she hovered over Abnegation. I want to scream and tell her no. She should be happy, not miserable in a faction where she doesn't belong. I let out a sigh of relief as she finally let's her blood fall into the Dauntless bowl.
"Dauntless!!" is called and the loud, roaring cheers of the Dauntless echo over the large room. I give her a smile and a thumbs up as she leaves the stage and she smiles giddily back. "Cole, Misty." time freezes. it feels like I'm moving through thick peanut butter as I make my way up to the elaborate stage. I grab the shiny blade and turn it over in my hands nervously. I make a slow slice across my palm and squeeze my fist as I begin to see crimson flowing from the incision. I slowly move my hand between Dauntless and Erudite. I finally decide to let a single drop of crimson fall into the Erudite bowl. I hear the cheers from behind me coming from my new faction. I slowly make my way off stage still blinking back the shock. I glance upwards towards my parent and my fathers face is red. my mother blows me a kiss and my brother smirks. I blow one back to my mom and sit down in the Erudite section. "Cole, Torin" he strides up to the stage, quickly grabs the knife, and shoots a sardonic, lazy smirk back at our father as he slices his hand and let's a drop of his blood spill into the Dauntless bowl. My father looks enraged as Dauntless erupts yet again in loud cheers. My brother shoots me a sincere smile and sits down with his new faction