The Test

The room im lead to has mirrored walls and is very bright-lit. In the center of the room is a chair that looks like a dentist's chair. "Please go sit there"- she points to the chair "and electrodes will be attached to your head. Then you will be given a serum to drink, to connect you to a simulation program." Alisha, the woman giving me my test, explains the test she is about to give me. "This serum will just put you in a simulation where All you need to do is just make a few decisions." she skillfully attaches the electrodes to my head and gives me a vial of serum. I drink it all and within minutes I'm into the simulation.

A woman points to a silver table in front of me. "pick one." she rasps, motioning towards the knife and the cheese on the table. "why?" I question. The woman glares. "Do not ask questions. Pick one!" I glare back. "Not until I know what for!!" I snarl defiantly. The simulation changes and I'm now in front of a dog. It growls and snaps at my feet. It's teeth are bared with dried blood on them. I kneel down slowly in front of it. Holding my hand out flat palm side up. It sniffs my hand Then it's attitude completely changes, it lays down in front of me panting happily.
a child shows up and the dog lunges at the girl. "STOP!!" I scream and the dog stops in its tracks, whimpering.

I wake back up in the dentists chair with Alisha staring at me in utter shock. "what's wrong?" I ask her with concern. She shakes her head as though she is clearing her mind. "y-your a Divergent....." she utters quietly and then glances around as though she would be caught saying something scandalous. "a.....what?" my face scrunches up in confusion. "listen, you mustn't tell anyone about being Divergent! It's dangerous! I will go in and modify your results manually so that nobody will know." she warns intensely. I leave the room in shock and confusion. What is Divergence, and what exactly does it mean? Alisha said it was dangerous.....how?? These thoughts swim through my head endlessly as I make my way home to prepare for Choosing Day tomorrow.