Cherished

• disclaimer: this one shot includes some mature themes!

Carla's phone screen encases her view and she realises the date, which causes her to let out a exasperated sigh. It's been 4 days since she's returned to Madrid after completing her studies.

During these past few years, Carla has solely focused on her studies and sometimes on the management of the wineries with Valerio. Thus, she's been keeping quite in contact with him.

Though, she's also been in contact with mostly everyone else - Lu, Ander, and sometimes Guzmán.
Mostly everyone else, except the one person she's been dying to properly talk to for the past few years.

That being; Samuel.

They've had occasional talks within the period, mainly at the start, but not as much for the recent years. It's been too painful for her because she misses him - tons. And she hopes that he does to.

Also, she didn't want to drag him along with her whilst studying abroad. She wanted a fresh start, and believed that he did to, and so they started to lose contact as time went by.

She hated it, but she knew that some sacrifices had to be made when starting something new in life. Carla also believed that some time apart between them would be good, although she wished that the time apart wasn't so long.

He's been a constant thought in her mind during the past years and although they never officially labelled their relationship, she hopes that she still has a place in his life and that he is waiting for her.

That might sound somewhat selfish on her part, to keep him waiting, but now that she's in Madrid, all she wants is to be with him.

She's been out of any type of relationship whilst studying, driving away any boys that come to her due to not being interested whatsoever.

However as said, it's been 4 days since her return, yet she still hasn't met Samuel. She's simply scared.

Scared to see him have moved on with someone else, happy with someone else - although all she wants is for him to be happy, and even though she would walk away if he is, it's too painful for her. That pain that she may endure, scares her.

She's met all of her friends and despite the fact that she could've just found out about Samuel from them, she didn't want to and never asked since she wanted to see for herself.

Carla gets dragged out of her thoughts with Lu's voice. "Carla, you're coming, right?" She faces her friend, who's sat opposite her, and sips her coffee before answering - Lu and Nadia returned back to Madrid a few days before Carla.

"Absolutely. It's tonight, isn't it?" Lu nods with a smile, glad that Carla's coming. "You'll be alright though, won't you? Everyone's gonna be there, including Samuel."

"I'll be fine. I have to see him one day." Carla replies with a confident voice. Though, on the inside, her heart is throbbing with nervousness.

Lu scoffs, although her voice becomes more sympathetic by the end of her sentence. "You know you don't have to pretend with me. I know how much you miss him."

Carla reciprocates a small smile. "It's fine, don't worry." Lu decides not to question her anymore on the matter, so they start to talk about the gala tonight, where everyone's going to be altogether after a while.

Lu and Carla have become the good friends that they were at the start, since the past few years they spent apart, if not even closer.

A few small laughters pass between them as Nadia also joins the two of them, arriving a bit late. They help to keep Carla's mind off of Samuel for a while until the hours go by quick, and it's the time of the gala.