Chapter 5: It's Only Fair

I drive back with a confident smile on my face. Instead of waiting to speak to Ephriam when I arrive, I ask Carla to call him on his private cell.

After three rings, he answers.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay? What happened?" He asks frantically. I can practically see him sweating.

"He took my earpiece. But everything's okay." I assure him.

he clicks his tongue. "Well, you are alive. But that was too close!"

"I know." I agree. "Well, I just wanted to let you know I was okay."

"Try wearing two earpieces next time. No one will suspect it." Ephriam advises.

I laugh, "That would be unexpected."

There's silence.

"Can you do me a favor?" I ask.

"Sure," He answers immediately.

"Send some agents down to Archer Burns' ranch. My identity was compromised."

Ephriam sighs, "Well, that was probably your worst mission ever! Fine,"

"Thanks," I say.

"I'll be waiting in the garage when you get back." He promises and then adds: "I love you."

"I love you," I say in return and then hang up.

***

In the garage, Ephriam is waiting for me as he promised. I set the safe carefully on the seat next to me and hop out of the vehicle. I stroll to him, careful not to be overly affectionate. Our relationship is insistent that we stay under wraps.

He's holding his tablet at his side. He holds his arms out and I stop confused, looking around.

"The cameras will be off for 30 seconds. They think it's a glitch." Ephriam explains.

I nod and run to him, launching myself into his arms. He drops the tablet and I hear the screen crack but neither of us cares. He holds me tightly and plants a tender kiss on my lips. My arms go up around his neck and I pull his lips deeper into mine.

A beep from somewhere unseen finally breaks us apart.

"That means the cameras are about to come back online," Ephriam says with a disappointed twinge in his voice. He lets go of me and straightens his suit jacket.

"Yeah..." I say and straighten mine also.

"I'm gonna check out." He picks up his tablet and examines the screen. It's shattered from one corner to the other but still lights up when he grabs it. Ephriam stares at it. At first, his eyes are narrowed and concentrated. Then his face changes to confused and finally shocked.

"What?" I ask. My heart rate starts to rise and in the back of my mind, I'm expecting the worst.

"It's- the agents- they can't-" He struggles for the words and tugs at the hair on the back of his head. I hold my breath. Waiting for him to ultimately spit it out. "They can't- Archer Burns is gone." He finally says.