Izuku Midoriya: Origin

Izuku Midoriya was four years old when he realized that people were not all born equal.

"You see here?"

Izuku stared blankly at the image the doctor gestured at. An X-Ray of his foot. The doctor pointed towards the two joints visible in his pinkie toe.

"During the advent of Quirks, many studies have been done trying to find the cause of the phenomenon. Through that research, a link was discovered between the possibility of having a Quirk and the possession of a second joint in one's pinkie toe."

Izuku glanced at his mother to see she was staring at the doctor intently, biting her bottom lip in apprehension. "So...what does this mean for Izuku?"

The good doctor sighed and leaned back against his seat. "People who exhibit Quirks were found to have only one joint in their pinkie toe. Quirks are seen as the next stage of human evolution, so the popular theory is that the human body also evolved into a more streamlined form and did away with unneeded parts such as this." He looked down at the small, green-haired boy with a look that could only be described as pity. "The chance of him having a Quirk is pretty much non-existent."

Izuku looked from the doctor, to the picture, to his tearful mother, and back to the doctor again. Truth be told, the bulk of the conversation went completely over his head, but one thing was abundantly clear.

"So, I don't get superpowers?!"

"Sorry, kid."

"NOOOOOOOO!"

XXX

Ever since the revelation that he had no superpowers ("Quirks, Izuku. They're called Quirks," his mother kept insisting), young Izuku Midoriya's life gradually became very different.

For one thing, his mother was no longer able to look at him without looking like she was about to burst into tears. She seemed to have convinced herself that it was all somehow her fault he was superpower-less ("Quirkless, Izuku. You're Quirkless," his mother kept insisting). Izuku himself didn't really see how any of it was her fault, but trying to tell her that only seemed to make her sadder, so he stopped.

Those changes didn't just stop at home, though. They followed him to his kindergarten, too. Being the only superpower-less ("I give up. Call it whatever makes you happy, Izuku...") child in the kindergarten came with certain ramifications.

For one thing, his teachers seemed to pretty much stop paying attention to him entirely, unless it was absolutely necessary. When he told his mother about it, she had told him that it was because the rest of the kids all had superpowers that they were still learning how to control, so they needed more of their attention.

She then proceeded to start crying again. Izuku decided it was best not to ask her anymore questions about superpowers.

It wasn't just the teachers either. It was the other kids, too. A few of them still treated him the same, but a large number of them had started making fun of him over his lack of superpowers. His number one bully was a boy by the name of Katsuki Bakugo.

It was kind of a shame. Kacchan ("Don't call me by that stupid nickname!" "But your name is too complicated!" "HOW IS IT COMPLICATED?!") was his neighbor, and his mom got along with Izuku's mom. It had been pretty much set in stone that the two would grow up to become childhood friends.

Izuku tried his best to befriend the other boy, constantly following after him even when the boy gave him the nickname of "Deku," meaning "useless." Though, if he was honest, that nickname never really bothered him too much. ("Hey, Mom, I got a nickname today!" "Oh, that's terrific, Izuku! What is it?" "Deku!" "I-Izuku, are you sure that's not an insult instead?" "I like it!" "Izuku...")