Chapter 25: If You Cross That Line...

Aiden sat by Quillana's bed, thinking about how--if only for a second--he had been back sooner. He held her hand tight and listened to the electrocardiogram. Each beat sent flashes of their time together. Her laugh, her smile, her furrowed brows when she studied. Despite everything, he hardly knew her at all.

     She was a second-year, two years younger than him, and had a charming attitude that would make most men fall head over heels for her. After a long time, and only realizing it now, he had fallen for her. He felt stupid leaving; she warned him about the mission. He thought he could win against Baron. Well, he did, but at what cost?

     He looked up at the clock and muttered out the numbers. "Three twenty-six." The trip aboard the Mariana took about three hours. He had time to shower, clean up, and ate dinner before arriving. The workshop crew was on board and welcomed him with open arms. They kept going on about the news, how Baron will be put on trial, the High View Hotel, and the updated numbers of casualties caused by the explosion. He was no longer on the dead list, giving officials extra work to put him out of the obituaries.

     They said Helian was surprised, but he knew the girls were pulling his leg on that one.

     The door to the recovery room slid open with a hushed blast of air. Aiden needn't look, already knew who it was by the sound of the footsteps. He had heard it too many times today. "I'm to blame for this, huh?" He asked the head-tactician. She said nothing to the already depressed man and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

     Aiden first arrived on the island with an air of confidence, almost cocky, but now it's different. The idea of losing a close friend hit him harder than she had expected.

     "You're booking out first thing in the morning. Go home and get some rest." She knew he wouldn't leave Quillana. Not in this state. "Let us take care of her. You'll be the first to know once she wakes up."

     He nodded tiredly and rubbed his sunken eyes. When was the last time he had a proper rest? After Sector S05, he had been on the move for more than eighteen hours. Fatigue was beginning to kick in, drumming at his head.

     With slow movements, he stood up, thanked the head-tactician, and headed back to the dorms. He'll be in contact once the transport was ready.

     No one was up at this hour, apart from the patrol dolls. "Good morning, Aiden Cross." One greeted with a small wave. "It's 3:37 am. You should be back in your dorm."

     "Making my way there now." He answered.

     "Don't loiter now. Goodbye." After a courteous bow, she left and continued her patrol.

     The way back seemed longer as he was lost in thought. He found himself walking towards the amphitheatre located in the old city. Turns out it was much more of a small town than a city. Old houses lined the streets and most of them were lodgings for faculty personnel. He pressed on, letting his legs take one step at a time.

     At the end of the road held the amphitheatre. A large open space with stone steps for seats.

     A wall, located at the back of the stage, caught his attention. Aiden made his way down and towards it, noticing names had been carved neatly onto it. His eyes glazed over his own name and he stared at it for a full minute.