listen before i go

Sabrina did not expect to be walking alongside her newly founded nemesis, who is currently claiming to be on her side, in search for a healing spell. This is certainly not how she would usually spend her Friday evening, walking down the Greendale sidewalks with the demon Prince of Hell. She tucked her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket and strode between fast and normal speeds, keeping it completely silent between them. At least there was a gorgeous, warm sunset greeting her eyes from a distance, charcoal clouds stretched across the horizon. She held her head up to focus on each detail of the colorfully vibrant sky before her and the demon next to her.

From a Greendale citizen's perspective, it probably looked like Sabrina and Caliban were either on an awkward date, or belonged to some assassin agency and were on a mission. Very confusing, but also very true. The two were about one foot apart, Sabrina barely ever glancing over at him, and Caliban hardly taking his eyes off of her. Whenever she caught him staring, she'd wonder what he would think while watching her. What passed through his head when she was in his gaze. Perhaps he was plotting against her, conjuring up any possible way to sabotage her for their final challenge. Maybe even using his growing intelligence to discover her weaknesses to use as leverage over her. Or maybe, and this was barely a thought, he was genuinely intrigued by her and couldn't keep his eyes away. Sabrina breathed in the late evening sir, glancing over at Caliban, only to find the demon had his gaze fixed across the street.

Sabrina stopped walking and stepped back, standing beside him again. He was squinting at Dr. Cerberus's store, confusedly examining all the festive stickers littering the windows and leaning forward as if he were falling.

Sabrina ran her eyes over him, slowly examining him similar to how he was admiring those stickers. She narrowed her eyes and gazed upon his face, scanning each little detail of this trickster's features. His tanned skin, furrowed and dark brows, naturally frowning lips that would sometimes curl up for her, everything she could see was intriguing. Now, she understood why he had his sights trained on her. It was fascination, admiration.

Sabrina remembers the first day she ever saw him, the day they met on the beach. She remembers a regal sand castle set beside him, and the smell of tangy ocean air, and his shirt was blowing sweetly with the wind, and for almost a second, she had forgotten that her friends were behind her. Sabrina remembers inhaling and thinking for just a moment that it was just the two of them, her and Caliban, breathing evenly with each splash of the waves, eyes narrowly taking each other in, almost like they knew this wouldn't be their last time seeing one another. The demon sighed and continued down the sidewalk, bumping into her shoulder with his own and, for just barely a second, looking down onto her before looking away. She cleared her throat and followed him, steadying her pace, and scurrying thoughts.

The second time they had seen each other was in Pandemonium. Sabrina recalled being perched both bored and regally on the throne of Hell, both eyes fixed on him with a sense that she had seen his face before. He greeted her with a smile, cocky and pleased, and referred to her as "Princess", which soon became his nickname for her. She remembers the look on his face when he proposed he challenge her for the crown, the pleading look in his eyes, like he was begging for her to accept. Sabrina wondered what would happen if he won the throne, wondered if he would actually be bold enough to conquer earth after everything he's learned. Wondered if perhaps she could change his mind, or at least convince him that Hell didn't need a tenth circle, that nine was enough for torture and suffering. Maybe he would listen, maybe not.

"Where are we going, Princess?" Caliban sounded beyond confused. Sabrina turned off her thoughts and looked up at him, immediately looking into his eyes and letting her mouth part just slightly. She swallowed and remembered he asked a question.