On the Right Path

"You'll see that the weather here on Heaven is exactly like it is on Earth. You may be thinking which place on Earth do we measure the temperature." Jessie rambled on to me. "Well we measure the temperature of a small place we named Gambonet. It’s located on the outskirts of Mexico. We chose the place because it's untouched by man and has moderate weather."

"Interesting." I mumbled paying no attention to Jessie. I was busy planning. Planning how to get back home to see my family how they were holding up with my death.

"Brook you can't act this way to Capri or Kate. When they come over this weekend this behavior must stop because the last thing I want to do is apologize for you spacing out during conversations." Jessie placed a firm hand on my shoulder. She was wearing another one of her many of her white robes that had gold thread woven into a small J at the bottom left corner.

"Capri? Kate?" I snapped my attention back to Jessie.

"Well Capri is coming to visit and Kate is coming with him. You had such a unique way of death that they had to come." Jessie and I emerged from the apple orchard and made our way back to the house. "I warn you, Capri can be a handful sometimes." Jessie giggled and pushed open the door making the air change from fresh and chilly to stale and steamy.

"When exactly do they arrive?" I expected a week or two but I just wanted to know.

"In about 45 minutes. If the chariot is late." Jessie marched around the house busily grabbing empty bowls and placing them in the sink. "Honestly when was the last time we cleaned here?" She grabbed a fork that was covered in peanut butter and had hair stuck to it. I was about to help her when I felt a pair of hands rest on my shoulders.

"Scarlet. I was about to look for you." I looked at Scarlet’s golden curls and deep blue eyes.

"You want to go into main town because I have to buy a new dress. You also need to buy one for Capri and Kate." Scarlet finally let go of my shoulders. I might as well go now because if I didn't go now I'd have to go with Jessie.

"Sure let me just grab my purse." I hopped upstairs gliding into my room in search of the new brown purse Scarlet had gotten me for my birthday. The purse was charmed from the guardians and was impossible to lose. It would somehow stick with you until you needed to take it off. I looked around unable to find it, though I knew I would have to find it at some point because it was charmed. I searched under Scarlet's bed as a last hope. I spotted a blur of brown at the back. "There you are purse." I snatched it instead of holding my purse in my hand I held a brown satchel that was oddly heavy. I laid it down on the floor and opened it slowly. I wasn't sure if I was expecting something magical to fly out of it or just scared of what was contained in there. When it opened, the only thing that flew out was dust. "Papers, that's it." I shifted through the bag but all was there where a stack of papers.

"Brook!" Scarlet called from the top of the stairs. I shoved the bag back under her bed and found my purse in the closet. I rushed downstairs to Scarlet who was studying her watch anxiously. "We don't have much time before they get here."

"Just get the dresses delivered girls. Use your spells I've been teaching you." Jessie said rolling her eyes.

"Spells! We have spells!" I jumped excited by the idea of making people float in midair or being able to eat my food without touching it.

"They're not really spells they are just simple tricks like you can order dresses that can be delivered to you." Scarlet seemed unimpressed. "You cant make people fly or anything like that. This is Heaven it's not like we all magically become wizards or something." Jessie and Scarlet chuckled together and for a few seconds I felt a little left out. I suddenly wished I hadn't looked for my birthday gift, I would be back on the living territory with my family and I would never feel left out of a joke because I wasn't some newbie learning the ropes to life. I felt like I was a baby again in Heaven, I had to learn a new direction of life all over again, and again I had to have someone attached at my hip because I didn't know what I was doing and I was completely inexperienced with this life.