𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧

Believe it or not, harry wasn't a passionate person. he didn't excel at his school work, he didn't have any close friends, and there were no particular habits or hobbies that fascinated him enough to keep with it for longer than a couple weeks.

but zayn... he was the one thing harry could be passionate about. he was the only thing in harry's life that could make his heart beat so fast he thought he might die.

he was also the only person who could shatter it with his words in an instant.

and that's exactly how harry felt as he watched zayn slam the door shut in his face, an endless flow of tears soaking the collar of his shirt.

zayn thought of him as a burden.

was it really so bad for harry to love him? were his feelings that much of a nuisance that zayn could only look at him with disgust in his eyes?

what can i do?

he stood in front of zayn's door for what felt like hours, trying to understand what he did wrong. he listened to the sound of the water running, to the classical music playing from zayn's speaker, his thoughts consuming him.

why does he hate me?

he slowly backed away from zayn's door, wiping rapidly at his damp cheeks before turning around and walking towards the foyer.

why won't he give me a chance?

he grabbed his jacket, shoving his arms into it before slipping on his rain boots.

why am i not enough?

he pushed the door open and let it close shut heavily behind him, his rubber shoes squeaking against the floor as he made his way to the elevator. he stepped in beside an older woman, ignoring the look of concern she gave him as he stared at his feet.

why did it have to be him?

when the elevator dinged and the doors slid open, he rushed through the lobby and the crowd of people until he reached the front entrance. the glass slid open for him and he walked outside, immediately being hit with a downpour of rain that soaked through his jacket and his curls like a tsunami.

he closed his eyes and let the tears flow freely, glad the rain could mask his own flood of emotion. his heart was aching so painfully in his chest that he thought he would die.

is it possible to die from heart ache?

his feet began carrying him across the pavement, unaware of his destination. he didn't know where he would go, but he refused to burden zayn any longer. as much as he wanted to stay by his side, it was even more painful to think that his presence could cause so much hardship to the person he loved.

maybe it's time to let go.