𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐢𝐟𝐞

Harry startled when he heard the apartment door open and close, checking the time on the clock above the stove because zayn was never home this early. it was just barely past four and harry only just started preparing dinner because he thought he would have more time before zayn returned.

"w-welcome home," harry called, dropping the knife in his hand before wiping his hands on the front of the white apron he was wearing. he'd found it in a drawer and he assumed it was gemma's because zayn didn't seem like the type to cook.

when he got no response, he frowned and walked out from behind the counter, peeking his head into the entrance hall of the apartment.

his cheeks flushed when he spotted zayn shrugging his jacket off, watching the way the blue polyester stretched against his firm body. he gulped, trying to ignore the way his heart was racing in his chest.

"zayn?" he called again, wondering why the man didn't respond.

suddenly, those wide amber eyes were directed at him and he squeaked in surprise, shrinking away from his intense gaze.

"oh... hey, kid," zayn murmured, those dark eyes trailing down the length of his body until they stopped where the fabric of his gray hoodie ended.

harry reddened, realizing he was only wearing the sweatshirt and the apron, nothing else beneath.

"is that my sweatshirt?" zayn asked skeptically as he hung up his coat, ignoring the way his mind instantly thought of how cute harry looked in that oversized hoodie.

harry's eyes widened and he looked down, knowing zayn must think he was trying to seduce him or something. "u-um... i'm sorry! i should have asked first but it was cold and i didn't know if i was allowed to touch the thermostat..." he explained frantically, waving his hands about as he tried to prove his innocence.

"and i didn't go into your room or anything, if that's what you're thinking! this was in the wardrobe in my room with the rest of gemma's stuff so... i thought it was hers."

zayn watched the teenager with narrowed eyes before he sighed, running his fingers through his unusually messy hair. "it's fine. i haven't worn it in years," he explained, undoing the cuff links on his shirt as he walked past harry into the living room.

"you can keep it. everything in that room is stuff that i don't want anyway," he said plainly and something about that made harry's heart break just a little more.

everything in that room, including me.

"okay," he muttered reluctantly before taking a deep breath, playing with the hem of his apron as he walked back behind the kitchen counter. "i'm making salmon for dinner. i would have started a while ago if i knew you would be home early," he explained, reclaiming the knife so he could go back to cutting the skin off the filets.

"that's fine. i still have some work left to do anyway, just didn't feel like being at the office anymore," zayn explained as he sat down on the couch, grabbing his briefcase so he could take out his work.

"don't rush on my account—fuck!" zayn snapped when he opened his bag and realized he forgot all of the exams he still had left to grade on his desk.

the outburst made harry jump once again but this time he wasn't careful enough and the knife went right into his finger, slicing it straight open.