Chapter 3

Asherah barely got any sleep that night.  That cursed forest was still on her mind.  To make matters worse, she had school tomorrow- today, seeing as it was 4am.  In the blink of an eye, it was 6am, time to wake up.

During the school day, Asherah trudged through each class she had.  Nothing like being tired on a Friday!  And she couldn't stop thinking about The Forest.  Even the teachers noticed that she was more distant.

And of course the teasing had to be worse.

She sighed in relief when the bell rang, signaling the end of school.  She speed-walked to her locker.  Shoving what she needed in her backpack, she raced out of the school doors. 

She smiled as the fresh air hit her face.  Ignoring the shouts of whoever it was, she ran on the sidewalk, all the way to her house.  She was free and nothing was gonna stop her.

Opening the door, she saw a strange man talking to her mother.  He had golden blond hair.  His face wore red tinted glasses.  They continued talked, none having noticed her.

"Mom, who are you talking to?" Both heads turned to her.

"Oh Asherah, this is Jaylo.  He's a famous scientist." Famous, huh?  She had never heard of him at all.

"Ah, This is your daughter, I presume." He said, gesturing towards her, "I'm Jaylo, Jaylo Draconis.  Nice meeting you." He stood up and held out a hand.  Asherah shook it, noticing how tall, lanky and young he looked.  Probably in his twenties.

Asherah didn't know how she felt about this stranger.  How could her mother talk to him so easily?  She headed off to her room.  When this Jaylo-guy left, she was going to ask so many questions.

_____________

It was now 4:30 pm.  Asherah was 100% sure that scientist guy had left.  She left her room, being quiet as a mouse.  She didn't hear his voice so she guessed he was gone.

She went to the kitchen, and saw her mother preparing dinner.

"Mom, why were you speaking to that man?" Her mother looked in surprise.

"Oh, Asherah I didn't hear you enter." She said, completely ignoring Asherah's question.

"Why were you speaking to him?" She asked once more, becoming a bit sus about her mother.

"Well, he had heard about your.. special features, and had come to ask a few questions." That didn't settle right with Asherah.  There had to be some other purpose.

"Then what did he ask you?  If I was a fish?!" She joked, trying to potentially lower her mother's suspicion; if she even suspected Asherah of mistrust.

"Well he just asked about your features, and what they do, or 'The functionality of them' like he said.  I don't know why he was pressing so hard for information when it was clear I don't have it.  Or what he wanted."

"Well to me he seemed a bit suspicious..."

"Exactly!  How 'bout we do some research on his little organization."  That seemed like a solid plan.

"Sure."