Chapter 08

A/N - Warning, frustration ahead and several chapters of it.

Arthit's POV

I tried to suppress a yawn as I watched the students get on several busses parked in front of the Engineering Faculty. The senior hazing team along with the ten PhD students that I oversee was coordinating the seating arrangement and was making sure everybody was onboard. Watching the seniors gather together to finalize the documents in their hands after making sure all the students were onboard, I tried to suppress another yawn. God, this was torture. Whoever invented mornings and waking up in mornings should be sued.

Contrary to my sleepy mood all the students seem to be in high spirits judging by the racket they were making. I was glad that we were far away from any residential area given that it was too early in the morning for any human being to be this active and loud. I'm sure that this field visit that I've arranged for the students of the workshop was very interesting and stimulating. But I did wish that these kids would get stimulated a little later in the day.

Suppressing another yawn I rubbed my face in an unsuccessful attempt at alleviating my sleepiness. I opened my eyes and was startled to find Kongpob right in front of me. Then only did I notice that the seniors had finalized everything and were themselves getting on to different busses.

'Is it done? Are we ready now?' I asked.

'Yes Professor Arthit. There are a total of 386 students who signed up for the field visit. Four students are unable to attend due to last minute emergencies and they've already informed the hazing team. Students are arranged forty five to fifty per bus and each bus have members of the hazing team and PhD seniors to coordinate the students.' Kongpob said handing me the file.

'We can move out as soon as the two of us get in.' Kongpob finished. I pretended to go through it for the sake of their hard work but really it was too early for me to even differentiate between letters and numbers. Closing the file I wordlessly indicated that we should get in and begin the journey. When I went to pick my backpack from the ground, I was beat to it by Kongpob who picked my bag.

I was too tired and sleepy to bicker and just get on to the nearest bus followed by Kongpob who directed me to the seat directly behind the driver. Before sitting down I pretended to check whether the kids were all seated and safe. Kongpob put both our bags on the overhead compartment and gave the go ahead for the driver. With an earsplitting cheer from the juveniles in the bus we set off.

I leaned back and simply stared out the window blankly. All I could think about was bed, pillow, blanket and sleep. Even the nonstop chatter of the kids in the bus was unable to wake me up. I turned around when I felt someone gently tugging the file in my hand. Then only did I realize that it was Kongpob who was sitting beside me.

'It's OK P'Arthit, you can sleep. It's going to take at least three hours to get to the Geotechnical Research Institute and we can take care of the rest. I'll wake you up when we stop at the resting area on the way.' He said quietly so that only the two of us could hear. This is what I liked about Kongpob. He is considerate but not overbearing. He observes well and understands. Given any responsibility, I would not have to worry about anything. I know the job will be done and done perfectly.

Nodding with a slight smile I laid back and closed my eyes. Just before I slipped in to unconsciousness I felt something warm covering my torso.

******

I was gently roused by Kongpob when the buses arrived at the resting area. I stretched as much as I can and noticed that a jacket was draped over me, keeping me warm and comfortable.

'Yours?' I asked while returning the jacket. It wasn't mine anyway.

'Hmm... I thought you'd get cold. Did you rest well?' He asked taking back the jacket.