Chapter 24

I woke up in a white room. As my eyes adjusted, I noticed the sink in the corner and the many posters of inspirational quotes plastered all over the walls. I was in the nurses office, curled up on a cold vinyl bed with Gabe sitting by my feet.

"Good morning." He groaned. He held an icepack over his knuckles. "You feeling okay?"

"My almost-boyfriend turned out to be a complete asshole and you had to finish my fight for me. I'm fucking furious." I groaned.

My forehead was pounding, and as I reached up to touch it, I could tell it was bruising by the sting as my fingers brushed the skin. I winced from the pain.

"I didn't mind." He laughed. "You do not know how long I've wanted to punch him square in the jaw."

I sat up in the bed, Gabe holding out his hands ready to catch me if I fall. I smacked his hands away, and turned to swing my legs off the side of the bed. Gabe was still staring at me, his eyes holding an intent I couldn't discern.

"I'm sorry." I growled, angry I had to in the first place. I hate being wrong.

"Be still my beating heart, was that an apology? From you? Bella Moray?" Despite the chaotic event that had just transpired, his sarcasm was still intact.

"Shut up!" I grumbled. "I didn't think you had a reason to hate Carlos, I thought you just hated him because you hated me."

"I didn't hate you."

I looked up to meet his eyes. Carlos' could never measure up to the green and blue and hazel mix. I knew that the second I saw Gabriel.

"I never hated you. I was just trying to decide whether to tell you everything or mind my business and not, you know, hurt your feelings."

The way he looked through my eyes, almost like he was peering into my soul, through me off guard. It took me a second to process his words.

"Pfff!" I brushed off. "You? Caring about my feelings? Yeah, okay."

"Why is that so hard to comprehend?" He shook his head. "You're my friend. I like you. I care about your feelings."

His kind words were almost unbearable. They were just a reminder of how much of a jerk I'd been to him.

"Ditto." I smiled. Gabe grinned back, his left cheek dimpling slightly. I reached out my hand to shake his. "Friends?"

"Friends."

The door burst open with a bang as Cara and Addison ran in dramatically, throwing themselves between Gabe and I on the bed.

Cara grabbed my head in her hands and spoke into my face. "You just head-butted the guy you were obsessed with since you were in diapers. I love you right now! And you must have scared him because he didn't even try to get either of you in any trouble."

"I also passed out a second later." I reminded her. "Not exactly something to be proud of."

"I'm pretty proud of you." Gabriel admitted, I smiled back at him.

Addison flicked her head from him to me, completely bewildered. "So you guys are friends now? We're all good?"

"I guess so." I muttered. "Now, if you'll excuse me," I stood up from the bed, taking a moment to stabilise. "I have to speak to my chemistry teacher about finding a new partner."