Splash!

The sun hung low in the sky, lazily making its way towards the horizon. Its last few rays of light shimmered on the surface of the tranquil water. The only sound came from the slight ripples that lapped at the sides of the ancient, long-forgotten pier which I stood at the end of. A breath of cool, evening air tickled the hairs on my exposed skin. At my feet a puddle of water had started to collect, the dry, dusty sand getting its first taste of water in weeks. Wet underpants clung to my skin, and water dripped from my tangled hair.

I raised my head. The pier, stretched out before me like a runway, was willing me to take off. Another breath of wind, this time slightly stronger, startled the minuscule droplets of icy water that clung to my bare skin, and started an outbreak of goosebumps on my legs. Every ounce of what I hoped was bravery but was most likely stupidity banded together for a final assault on my undecided brain. My worries caved in to the onslaught of curiosity and the longing for adventure and excitement. I was finally going to do it.

I inhaled deeply, then exhaled slowly. With my head down, I started to run. Coarse, dusty sand underfoot transformed into old, hard wood. A 'No Swimming' sign on the side of the pier caught my eye, and I hesitated momentarily, before continuing to race towards the tranquil water. The calm, dark water was suddenly visible as my hair was blown out of my eyes. The edge of the pier was coming closer, closer, closer, until it disappeared. I found myself floating in midair, the dark water below swirling in interesting ways. Finally, gravity took hold of me, and I plunged into the cold, dark water.

Splash!

The loud noise disturbed the peaceful surroundings as I pierced the surface, and reflections of trees and clouds shattered. Almost immediately the icy blackness engulfed me, in my ears, nose, and mouth. I started to sink, bubbles desperately escaping from my open mouth like people fleeing from a sinking ship. Reeds brushed at my arms and legs as I descended slowly into the murky water, sunlight struggling to penetrate past the surface. A strong current was tugging at me, and I, unable to fight back, drifted slowly away from the shore.