Prologue

A  young  girl  trudged  through  the  deep  pure  white  snow.  Her  light  brown  hair  bounced  with  every  single  movement  she  made.  Looking  at  a  woman  of  slender  frame,  light  blonde  hair,  and  ice-blue  eyes  the  girl’s  own  lit  up.

“Mommy!”  She  exclaimed,  running  up  to  the  woman  as  quickly  as  a  child  in  the  snow  can  and  hugged  her.  The  woman  patted  the  girl’s  head  gently,  a  subtle  smile  creasing  her  lips.  “Hi,  sweetie.  Are  you  getting  used  to  your  magic?”

The  girl  looked  at  the  back  of  her  hands,  tiny  scales  that  reached  to  her  fingers’  first  joints.  Turning  them  so  the  palms  face  herself,  she  focused  deeply,  tiny  crystals  of  ice  forming  in  her  palms.  The  woman’s  mouth  creased  into  a  pleased  smile  as  she  saw  her  daughter  honing  her  magic  at  last,  “Come  on,  Eira,  lunch  is  almost  ready.”  the  girl  nodded,  allowing  her  mother  to  pick  her  up  and  carry  her  to  their  home.

Kris  woke  up  from  that  decade  old  memory.  Their  dark  blue  eyes  looked  around  before  sitting  upright  in  their  bed.  Kris  got  up  and  looked  in  the  mirror,  eyes  ice-blue  and  their  arms  covered  in  scales.  “Mom,  Jakob,  I’ll  find  you  two  one  day.  Eira…  no,  I  will  make  sure  of  that.”  she  whispered  under  her  breath,  binding  her  chest  and  getting  in  uniform.

She  walked  out  of  her  room  not  even  looking  like  herself.  Instead  of  a  young  woman  with  light  brown  hair  and  ice-blue  eyes,  Kris  transformed  into  a  young  man  with  dark  brown  hair  and  onyx  eyes.  She  walked  towards  the  border  using  the  various  shortcuts  in  the  dead  of  night,  no  other  person  in  sight.  She  arrived  at  Bladelocke’s  main  entrance,  greeted  by  two  Corporals.

“Private  Kristoffer  Laurens  taking  up  patrol,  sirs.”  she  informed,  bucking  her  boots  together  and  saluting  in  a  militant  fashion.  They  returned  Kris’s  salute,  and  she  started  her  patrol  in  the  darkness.  The  city  guards  increase  in  deployment  on  night  duty  during  the  new  moon,  the  near-complete  darkness  of  the  night  is  the  perfect  time  for  an  attack  or  raid.

All  Kris  has  to  do  is  watch  the  perimeter  with  several  others,  watching  out  for  any  possible  dangers  to  Bladelocke  and  its  people.  Just  pretend  the  others   don’t  exist  unless  something  happens.  Kris  told  herself  in  her  mind  as  she  began  the  patrol.