General's Return

Kris was awakened by the commotion outside. She yawned, stretching out of her bed and getting out her clothes. She turned her back towards the mirror and looked, a red rash appeared on her upper back a week prior and hadn’t gone away. “Well, I guess I’m an adult now.” No questions asked, she was too tired to deal with it at the moment.

Kris put on her binder, securing it tightly before wrapping a bandage around for support. She put on her gambeson before throwing on her uniform over it, getting out a red armband with a medical cross on it. Kris usually won’t wear it when out and about, or on patrol because she’d rather be stealthy.

Today’s different, though. She knew General Cathal would be returning within the current week after being away with the leader in a diplomatic meeting, and bringing back a representative of that nation. Every soldier needed to wear their badges, and the medically trained must wear their armbands. Kris put on her boots and brought her medical kit, exiting her room before closing the door behind her.

“I thought it would take them two weeks to return.” Kris whispered under her breath, leaving the building and walking in the direction of the noise. The people of Bladelocke were all shouting joyfully, celebrating the return of their leader. She maneuvered around the crowds, looking in the direction everybody was facing.

There was a tall young woman, though her posture was stiffer than her sword her face curled into a gentle smile. Her dress, long and bunching up on her left shoulder, had tactfully placed openings for the large falcon wings on her back. Her curly hair was in a half-up hairstyle, framing the olive-toned face sprinkled with golden dragon scales.

Next to the woman was a cloaked figure, both of them exuding intense levels of mana. The cloaked person tapped their staff on the cobblestone, silencing the crowd. An elderly man of a build similar to an adult soldier in full uniform raised his hand gently. His hair was dark blond with several gray streaks and a trimmed moustache that was nearly all gray.

“I’m sure you all have awaited my return from the diplomatic meeting, I’m surprised that I’m even back when I could’ve been farther from Victrusland.” he spoke, an authoritarian voice that expressed the aura of someone people should respect. “Anyways, I, General Aldegund Cathal, would like to introduce the envoys from this nation!” the crowd erupted into cheers, Kristoffer stepping back. She could see a blond figure within her peripheral vision, though she couldn’t tell where he went.

General Cathal cleared his throat, “Ahem, I’d like to introduce you to their strongest mage and one of the representatives; Ikaros!” the cloaked man’s mouth curled into a grin, calloused fingers tapping on the orb of his staff. “Pleased to meet you all.” his voice, surprisingly enough, was youthful with a hint of an accent. Looking closer at his hands, Kris noticed the color akin to the spruce trees of her home that covered the majority of his body.

“This tall woman is Elysia Aria, one of the best healers and the songstress of storms.” Cathal continued, Elysia waving her right hand to the crowd, “Greetings from the nation of Hestilos!” her voice, pleasantly calm, rang throughout the road. Elysia looked at Kris, walking forward. Extending her hand forward, the woman smiled. “I’ve heard quite a lot about you, Laurens. Pleased to meet you at last.” Kris hesitated at first, but decided to shake the woman’s hand anyways out of respect.

Conláed walked up to Ikaros, extending his hand. The cloaked man shook his hand, a soft yet firm grip. “You must be the General’s nephew, yes?” Conláed nodded in response, “You’re quite thoughtful, sir. I’m just the Command Sergeant Major, and nothing compared to my father and uncle.” Ikaros’s eyes shifted towards the woman he was accompanying and the soldier she was conversing with. “Who is that young soldier? He’s quite pale.” he asked, “That’s the 1st Class Private, Kristoffer Laurens. He’s skilled in various things and one of the best soldiers Victrusland has the blessing to be in the ranks.”