Chapter 1

Storm's POV

I groaned loudly as the door slammed behind me, and I forced my weight against it as I panted for air. Taylah looked at me with worry as the fear and panic began to rise inside me. Those things were coming, and they were coming now. Despite how fast we'd rushed up those flights of stairs, they wouldn't be far behind.

With my heart beating so loudly in my chest it made my ears throb, I backed away from the door, Taylah staying right beside me.

We had just trapped ourselves in this shabby little hotel room with nowhere to go, and death was knocking at the door. Well, it was climbing up the stairs and wasn't far off.

"Where do we go now?" Taylah wheezed, as she panted for air. I shrugged, completely clueless of what to do as the noises got louder.

They were getting close! If we made anymore noise, they'd bash the door in. And with that flimsy insulated wood, it wouldn't take long. Dammit!

I went to the back of the room quietly, clasping a hand over my mouth as the noises grew louder and footsteps wondered near and passed the door, and Taylah did the same, breathing into her hand.

I just prayed she didn't cough.

As soon as I'd thought that, Taylah's high-pitched, girlish coughing filled the room, and the growling grew louder. That was when something slammed into the door hard enough to splinter it. The something on the other end of that door was growling, and it didn't sound happy at all.

"Shit!" Taylah hissed, as she began looking for a weapon to fend those things off. It was pointless for her to even try. There was nothing in here, and you could tell just by looking around.

"Sorry," she drawled, as she picked up a black umbrella, and brandished it carefully.

I rolled my eyes and looked at the set of drawers as the door splintered again. I tipped the drawers over and slid them against the frail door, then shoved my foot onto the top of them, and barred the door with a good shove. It wasn't much, but it would buy us time. Maybe one of them would trip over it?

I looked over at the windows, and saw a fire exit outside.

"We need something to break those windows," I urged, and Taylah nodded, then stood in front of the splintering door, where the growls were coming from. Her umbrella was poised to strike them down with the tip, and I took that to mean she'd take watch while I searched.

I turned and looked around the hotel room. I slid onto my hands and knees, and ignored the carpet burn I faced as I looked beneath the bed. To my luck I discovered a large wooden bat. I immediately clutched at it, missing a couple of times as my arm was just out of reach. It was against the wall on the other side of the bed.

Another loud slam burst against the door, and Taylah yelped.

"Storm! I see eyes and hands!" She screamed, and I heard thwacking noises as she undoubtedly tried to beat them with the umbrella. From the sound of the ugly groans, it wasn't working very well.

I made a furious lunge for the bat, slipping under the bed, and when my fingers wrapped around the cold object, I pulled the bat towards me, and rolled from beneath the bed.

I stood up, and for a single instance, I looked over to where Taylah was. I immediately wished I didn't. She was beating the pair of arms that were lunging at her through holes in the broken door, but it seemed ineffective. If anything, it only proved to piss off the balding man with hideous teeth who growled at her, blood seeping from his mouth. Whether it was his or not, I was unsure, and I didn't want to know.