Eleven

As it happened, after the not-so-pleasant argument I'd had with Jordan, even though he and I weren't exactly on speaking terms it was like his very presence was haunting me. Everywhere I went at school I saw him, whether it was across the hall, making out with some random girl at his locker, or with both of his earbuds shoved into his ears during class, he was practically everywhere.

It was starting to drive me crazy.

And you know, it was like he was purposely trying to piss me off too, because not on one occasion, but two, did I find him making out with Cadence Michaels behind my truck. It was like he was trying to rub his sweaty, perfect, annoying body all over my prized possession just to spite me. Believe it or not, though, all I had to do was start my truck, rev the engine a few times, and the smoke from the tailpipes alone was enough to send Cadence crying about the god-awful smell. I could tell Jordan was annoyed by her reaction, so I considered that a win for me.

Haha. Two can play at this game, Jordan Adams.

So, imagine my surprise when I got the best phone call from my brother last night asking if we could switch cars for a few days. He said he had some friends who had just moved into an apartment, and he was going to help them move their furniture. Of course, I could never turn down lending a hand to my brother, let alone driving his magnificent sports car.

A 2007 Mazda RX-8.

Boy, was I going to shove it in Jordan's face today.

First thing on my to-do list for the day was to pick out a badass outfit that would absolutely state exactly how I'm feeling towards Jordan, and as I opened my closet, I knew exactly what I was going to wear. I pulled out my favorite light skinny jeans, a grey fitted tank top, my favorite black leather jacket that always made me look as dangerous as ever, and a pair of heeled black combat boots. After throwing on my clothes, I put on a few coats of mascara, grabbed my backpack, keys, and aviator sunglasses, and I was out the door.

Needless to say, as soon as I turned the key, I could already hear the sound of the obnoxiously loud rotary engine roaring to life. It was practically waiting for me to open it up and make some noise for all to hear.

And that's just what I did.

The drive to school was nothing but the best feeling as I zipped through town, windows rolled down, sunglasses on, and the sound of none other than It's Not Over by Daughtry blaring through my loudspeakers. There was an undeniable smile plastered on my lips as I drove this car as though it were my last ride, taking curves and lights probably faster than I should have, but that was how I had been taught to drive.

Ride or Die. as my fellow friend, Dom, would say.

And so, when I did finally pull into the parking lot of school, the first thing I noticed, of course, was Jordan Adams, leaning against his sleek motorcycle flirting with none other than Cassie Strafford. Everyone knew that Cassie was basically the school "make-out" girl. Apparently, she has a reputation among the boys for things that she can do with her tongue, and at that thought, I found myself internally cringing. That's gross.

So, just to piss Jordan off even more than he'd pissed me off, I pulled into the empty spot right across from his parking spot and made sure to floor it as I pulled in, letting the sounds of the loud, throaty engine fill the area. I could see everyone staring at me, some were even laughing and pointing, but I didn't care. And sure enough, as I peeked through my rearview mirror, I found Jordan's eyes firmly planted on the back of the Mazda, completely ignoring Cassie, who was currently running her fingers all over Jordan's chest.

I wanted to laugh, but I didn't, suddenly noticing that the needle on the engine temperature gauge was just slightly elevated. That usually happened when the Mazda was a little low on oil, so I made a mental note to check on it later, so that the engine could cool down. I climbed out of the car, grabbing my backpack, looking out of the corner of my eye. There was no way I could have missed the way Jordan's eyes widened slightly when he saw me, the one earbud dangling from his ear just so happening to be the ear closest to where Cassie was standing. All I could do though, was smile silently to myself.