Chapter 20: Outnumbered, Not Outmatched

Five figures stood in the open, poised to attack. Around them lay fresh corpses and the writhing bodies of the surviving artificial mortals that weren't killed by the explosion. At the forest's edge, Ixchel and Lilly watched on, unable to move from the shock that was the battle before them. While the dust and ash from the explosion were still settling, Siegfried lowered his guard, to everyone's surprise, looking around in confusion. The Numbers similarly dropped their guards, and though their faces didn't show it, their bodies betrayed them and proclaimed their own confusion and surprise. "How...how in the abyss did I survive that? How did any of us?" Lilly and Ixchel watched, speechless over the events that transpired. Siegfried looked around, trying to figure out the answer to his question as the Numbers collected themselves once again and prepared for another clash. "...questions for later; first, I have to kill you lot." He put his guard up once again as he raised his gun.

Click. Click. Click. Nothing. Silence followed as the five figures exchanged looks. "The Omnis of the land has been depleted by all of the fighting. Your gun is useless, whereas our magic still functions perfectly." CG048 raised his hand as an orb of lightning grew in his palm. With a push, the globe rocketed toward Siegfried, who managed to dodge by a hair's breadth. The globe continued on its path until it hit a group of artificial mortals that had been incapacitated by the explosion, revitalizing them.

"Well...shit." Siegfried's gun was quickly returned to its holster and replaced by his short sword that rested on his back. Before the artificial mortals behind him could reach them, he leapt at the Numbers in front of him, aiming for CG048, who quickly blocked it. As he retreated to attempt his attack anew, he was caught by AG128 and CG048, who seemed to rival him in speed. Siegfried's method of fighting focused heavily on using his high speed to rush and disorient his opponents while taking opportunistic strikes. Meeting opponents that rivalled his speed was unusual to him, though his training with the old Boss did not leave him without options. A quick heel turn. A blade connecting with armour and flesh. AG128 stepped back, clutching his chest. Fresh blood fed the battlefield again. As Siegfried tried to continue with the momentum, AF276 appeared from behind CG048 and brought a giant war hammer down onto Siegfried. Bodanen splintered underfoot. Eyes blinded by fresh dust. Stepping back, Siegfried was glanced across the chest by a fireball; following its path backwards, he found BB376. No longer running around and trying to distract and herd the blues, Siegfried held his ground but found himself quickly surrounded again, many from the horde of standard blues having reawakened. The enemy was reorganizing. "Well...Shit, ...again."

The horde once again encroached on Siegfried. Steel met steel. Lightning and fire flew. The blues and the Numbers fought on relentlessly without pause. Yet Siegfried held strong. Every blow dealt, he returned with fervour. Attacks of fire and lightning were avoided with precision and throwing knives sent in response. While the artificial mortals were tireless, Siegfried was relentless and stubborn. As blows were traded, artificial mortals fell, but Siegfried remained. With the cries of a beast, he was lost to the onlookers amid a storm of steel, blood, and flesh. Lilly and Ixchel, both silently and independently, prepared to storm the field to aid Siegfried, but a voice stopped them. "...to ge...ow! I rep...yone needs to ge...t now!" Talib's voice echoed through every warrior's ears; the voice that seemed to be sent by the gods themselves. "The explosives are set! Everyone needs to get out now! I'm calling for a full retreat! Get back to the outpost."

Though unaware of it, both Lilly and Ixchel were beaming as they raced down the hill to meet up with their troops. The communications were flooded by the orders and calls by the main forces as they hastily fell back to their transports to escape the chaos of the fighting. The noise was enough to distract the blues for a moment, allowing Siegfried to strike down almost a dozen more. "About time you lot showed up! I was getting bored up here!"