Chapter 22: Well Whishes

A week had passed by the time they were ready to move on, despite many protests by Blake to leave sooner. As the suns rose on the eighth day since waking, Siegfried and thirteen others stood at the castle's gates around the car the trio had arrived in. they were loading the last of their luggage and supplies onto the vehicle as well as saying their final goodbyes. Several small groups had formed as the preparations were finishing. Fadil and Sarnai stood by Talib with five of the captains behind them. Sayen embraced Shikoba tightly as they whispered to one another. A bit further away from the rest stood Boris and Lilly sharing soft words while Siegfried and Blake exited the living compartment as they finished loading it with their supplies. With a loud clap, Siegfried gained everyone's attention. "We're loaded and ready to go. It's time...anyone want to say anything?"

The others quickly joined Siegfried by the car to say their final farewells. The five leaving, Siegfried, Boris, Blake, Talib, and Sayen, stood with their backs to the vehicle, facing the remaining nine. Fadil and Shikoba stepped forward and turned to Siegfried. After Shikoba motioned to him, the first to speak was Fadil. "Siegfried, you seem to be leading this crazy convoy, so you better keep the others safe; keep an eye on my old man, please. ...He's getting on in years, and I don't want to see him go just yet." An embarrassed Fadil shyly rubbed the back of his neck as he looked away from the others. "Sarnai and him are some of the last family I got left...I'm not a fighter; I can't follow you and protect him myself...so please, bring him back in one piece."

"Really, kiddo? You're going to do this just before I leave? Don't worry; like I said, I don't plan on dying anytime soon." Talib grabbed Fadil by the shoulders before forcing him into a warm hug. "You and Sarnai are some of my last family, too. So I'm doing this so you can live in peace. I'll be back before you know it, so relax. ...And I wasn't kidding about those grandkids; man up already, Fadil!" A giant, glowing smile was plastered across Talib's face as Fadil pushed away from his father.

Fadil looked back to Sarnai with a shy, nervous laugh. "Yeah...we'll get on that? Heh, I guess you'll be fine, dad. Send those monsters to the Abyss!" Sarnai joins the pair in a final embrace while the rest of the group chuckles at them, especially at Talib's insistence on getting grandchildren.

"You have my word, Fadil; we'll do everything in our power to get your old man home in one piece, so just focus on the work on your end. We'll end this war together, each of us doing our part!" Siegfried joined Talib in patting Fadil's shoulders.

Shikoba stepped forward with a bark-like shout, pointing at Siegfried with a fierce look in his eyes. "I can trust her on getting back home in one piece, but you lot better not try anything funny with Sayen just because I'm not there. Don't you even THINK of touching my wife!" a loud, hostile growling came from Shikoba as he stared down Siegfried. Sayen put her hand over her face and shook her head in embarrassment over her husband.

"Really, Shikoba, I'll be fine; though I do appreciate that you're not concerned about my martial prowess, you know me so well." Sayen took Shikoba by the shoulders, beaming from ear to ear. "I'll be back in one piece, and you can trust them. You know Talib, he's a good man, and Siegfried and Boris are honourable. Blake is...I'm not really sure...." She looked to Siegfried for backup regarding Blake but only received an unsure shrug. "Regardless, I'll be fine; you just look after our tribe." Sayen pulled Shikoba close in a tight hug and planted a kiss on his forehead.

"I trust you, love; it's just...I should be by your side...." Shikoba averted his eyes from Sayen, his next words barely a whisper. "...that's where I belong." He found the arms embracing him get even tighter as he looked up to see Sayen's face turned to that of pure elation.

Siegfried gave a short bow to the Sayen and Shikoba pair, holding back laughter at their cute interaction. "You have my word, Shikoba; no harm will come to your Chieftess and wife. But...uh, Chief...we're just about ready...so, you might want to release Shikoba before you break his back." Surprised, Sayen looked down to see Shikoba struggling to breathe in her grasp and released him quickly, patting his head in apology. "Is everyone good then? Well, let's be off!"