Chapter 7 : Chains of Hysteria

Lewis arrived an hour late, wearing fisherman clothing that Ren found humoring. His mind still lingered on the image of the Beast's face. A chilling wind blew. He shivered. They rowed a small boat to the eye of the lake, where fish danced underneath them. Ren could feel the vibrations they left on the water, like echoing melodies on a grand piano

Lewis was well built, almost making Ren feel small next to him. Almost. Ren looked into his misty-gray eyes and thought of a thundery cloud. His curly hair reminded him of his father's, dark brown loops of string. The voices began to lurk, sneaking on him.

"So, tell me, boy, what experience do you have on water," his voice was deep and well-tuned, with no cracks. A singer's voice.

If only you knew. "My father taught me a few things," lied Ren.

"Show me what you know," he handed Ren a fishing pole. The soft wood kissed his fingertips, feeling brand new. Ren grabbed a worm. The slimy spineless creature danced crazily. Ren thought it was attempting a great escape, one ensuring freedom. He forced it through the hook and hurled it at the deep turquoise water. "Patience, lad."

"Don't worry." Ren reached out the well, to his power, and controlled the water. Himself behind the steering wheel, driving the water to his will. A few bass swam by, seeking food elsewhere, but Ren hurled them towards his trap. The mouth of one bass began to draw near, lips beginning to savor the sweet taste of the crunchy worm. It consumed it, predator on prey, and Ren forced its mouth closed with pressure he conjured underwater. At his command, the hook drew closer to him, and then he pulled the rod, yanking the long bass from its underwater home. Ren caught it, like the baseball hero he admired. "And done," the bass spasming left and right.

Grinning, the fisherman clapped. "Color me impressed, I'm sure you'll make a fine apprentice, and with a decent pay too."

"Thank you, Lewis."

"Don't mention it, lad, but keep an eye open. You still have much to learn."

I don't have much time to waste on fishing but here I am. With every second, the Beast spends it growing stronger, and perhaps one of these days it'll grow too strong for anyone to stop it. "I'll try to learn as much as I can before I depart."

"Where are you heading off to?"

"Far. Somewhere far away."

Lewis nodded. The two fished longer. There was quiet, a sound he admired if it was one. The sun laid on the horizon, a maiden on the edge of her bed wearing an orange dress. Their boat arrived at the dock, and the two jumped off, exhausted and hungry.

"Let's head to the inn, I don't think Sharon will be willing to make us brunch."

"What seems to be the problem with your wife?"

He shook his head; Ren could see the sorrow ringing in his eyes like bells. A face of loss. Lewis walked to the shore, slow trembling steps. A plank of wood rooted itself onto the ground, with toys and a picture frame leaning against it. In the frame, a smiling young boy posed, his face radiant with innocence. 'Rest in Peace' was written on the plank of wood with fancy handwriting.

"My son, Sheldon. We called him Shel," his voice cracked, almost to the point of breaking to tears, Ren could sense it.

"Sheldon."

Lewis nodded, "When we made our way here with the mayor, we came in caravan. We crossed a small desert with a canyon so deep, if you dropped a rock, it'd take a few minutes for it to reach the bottom," he paused, shaking his head, and continued, "the boy was curious about the depth, you see. Sharon and I were too focused on the road ahead, trying to keep us from not falling into the ravine. But the boy, he... he fell when we hit a rock on the road. We spent hours looking for him, until we got word that they spotted a body down at the bottom, blood tainting sandstone."