one

I sit by the window looking at the cars and people passing by. I was up early this morning and decided to stop at the coffee shop for a while. If I had went straight to the hospital, I'd be too early and since I got home late last night, thought I'd give myself a treat before another busy day.

I am a third year resident at Yulje Hospital, one of the biggest hospital in town. I chose general surgery, don't ask me why but I love what I'm doing now and wouldn't have it any other way.

I take out my notes and check on my schedule for today. I've got a packed one for this week, but today will not be a hectic day as yesterday. Hopefully. In general surgery, my mentor is assistant professor Lee Ikjun. A kind and playful man yet intelligent and skillful. I often choose and tag along in his surgeries because it's always pleasing to learn from him, he treats us residents with respect, as equal to any other doctors.

Done checking my notes, I finish the last sips of my coffee. Once again looking through the window I notice a tall, brown haired guy walks into the coffee shop. Like I said, I enjoy watching people passing by and not seldom I caught my eyes on some guys too. It's quite normal for women to do that, right? He goes straight to the cashier, this place is too noisy I can't hear what he orders. Either way, it's none of my business.

Pack everything inside my bag, I head out and walk to the hospital. Tuesdays aren't as busy as Mondays, actually it depends, it's a hospital. We can never know.

'Jang Gyeo-ul! Good morning!' a very familiar voice of Doctor Lee Ikjun greets me.

I smile and bow to him. 'Good Morning doctor.'

'What's that? Why? What happened?' he asks.

I raise my eyebrows and wonder what he meant just now.

He shakes his head and chuckles. 'Hey Jang Gyeo-ul. It's not like we've worked together for only two days you know. What's with the face? Something's bothering you?'

I rub my neck and stare at my shoes. 'Ah.. no doctor. Probably just tired, not getting enough sleep last night.'

In reality it's just my face. I'm like this. As cold as the winter they refer.

'Ah? Is that so? Oh well... cheer up! We don't have any surgery scheduled for today so that's good news right. I'll go down to check the patients, come to my office whenever you're ready. I forgot to bring my phone.'

I nod and quickly take whatever I need with me and go down with doctor Lee Ikjun to check on the patients. It's always a nice thing to do in the morning to go around and monitor the patients, I learn a lot on how to quickly take necessary measures to the patients from the famous doctor Lee Ikjun and everyone loves him, you'll know why,

'Yaaa.. later today I'm going to meet a very old and good friend of mine.' he says while staring at his phone screen.

'Someone is coming from out of town?' I ask.

'Nope not out of town. Only from a different hospital.'

'A doctor?'

'Yeah... some sort. He'll come today and my other friends are all coming here as well. Guess we'll have dinner here later this evening.'

I frown at his answer. 'Emergency meeting regarding a patient? Why here at Yulje?'

He keeps staring at his phone and busily typing. 'Ahh it's somehow hard to explain, but I think you'll see him often in near time.'

I shrug my shoulders and just nod again. Not wanting to know his personal business. And honestly not very interested in meeting new people at this point. Here I am, being as cold as winter as what they say.