Chapter 11

The first downpour came a little after FP and his friends leave. After hanging out at the diner for an hour, LSP insisted they leave or else he’d tell Fi about FP’s huge crush on her. So they left. As the soccer group strolls out the door, a guitarist wearing red walks in.

“Wow this place looks like a dump. The rain only makes it worse.” He says.

“Well, if you don’t like playing at this ‘dump’ then pack up your things, Vampire King.” Fionna counters annoyed at the sight of Marshall. She still hasn’t forgiven him for that night. He was so inconsiderate of her feelings. A ray of lightning strikes the sky, and Fionna flinches in fear, whimpering slightly. Marshall Lee notices.

“What’s wrong, bunny girl, don’t you like thunder?” He has a deviant tone in his voice but he is truly concerned.

“You know, 24,000 people are killed from lightning strikes each year.” She backs away from the window.

“Oh honey, it’s just a little rain,” Cake hugs Fionna’s head to her bosom, “Marshall, why don’t you play Fi a lullaby to calm her down?” Cake directs her to one of the sofas.

“No, Cake, I’m working. I can’t sit on the job.” Fionna protests. 

“Non-sense. Do you see anyone around that needs to be tended to, gurlie?” Cake has a point; there isn’t a single soul around except the four that work there. Fionna lets Cake sit her on the warm couch as Marshall gets his guitar out. Another strike of lightning and Fionna is laying her head on Cake’s lap. Marshall strums a few cords on his base & Chrome takes a seat next to Cake.

“Okay, Fi,” Marshall purrs into the microphone, “this one’s for you.” Fionna wants to roll her eyes but the beat is slow and soothing, making her feel warm and safe. Marshall’s song is speaking strait to Fionna, putting her in a sleepy trance.

There isnt a thing in this world

That would dare hurt you

I swear Ill protect you always

Until the sun shines through

Smiles, my bunny, feel brave and alive

Smile, my bunny, tell all your fears goodbye

Ill protect you

The song has a bewitching effect on Fionna. She wants to smile and cry at the same time. Marshall’s voice is soft, like her favorite blanket, she realizes as she drifts off into a peaceful sleep.

“Marshall,” Cake whispers, “Take her home. The rain doesn’t look like it’s going to let up anytime soon. I think we’ll close the shop for today.” It isn’t a demand it’s a request.

“Alright, but I only have my motorcycle. If I even start it, it’ll wake her up.”

“Take my car,” Chrome tosses him the keys.

“How will you get home?” He asks, twirling the keys in his forefinger. 

“We’ll take my car,” Cake says happily, “go back to Chrome’s place. The weather is perfect for watching movies and cuddling.”

“You sure it’s ok?”

“Yeah, just don’t crash or anything.” Seeing the anxious look on his face Cake adds, “Your bike will be safe here. I just don’t want her to awaken, frightened because of the thunder. I rather have her comfy in bed. Safe and sound.” Fionna snores softly in her sleep. So cute, Marshall thinks. Cake passes her to Chrome, who picks her up as she weighs nothing. Outside it’s raining cats and dogs. Cake carries an umbrella over Chrome and Fi. Marshall takes the lead, approaching a black mustang, and unlocks the passenger’s seat. Chrome places the sleeping girl inside and closes the door quietly. Marshall stuffs his guitar in the trunk and approaches the driver’s door.

“Be careful,” Cake tells him, “and don’t do anything funny, Marshall.”

He doesn’t reply. Instead he gets in the car and starts the engine. Fionna turns in her sleep. He turns on the heater and begins to reverse out of the Candy Kingdom’s parking lot.

© 2013 Cynthia Hernandez