Chapter 4

Library

I enter the library expecting no one else to be there, who even needs to be here first week of term anyway? But of course, Granger proves me wrong again.

"That was a very nice thing you did in potions for Harry. If only he hadn't been so ungrateful." Granger says as she sees me.

"It was dumb." I shrug. "It only lost more points for our house."

"What did you mean by my type of people Draco?" Granger closes her book, I see it's about Alchemy, Ancient Art and Science. "I asked Percy and he said your family hates muggle-borns like me. Is it true? Do you hate me?" her eyes water up quickly.

I sigh. "My Father tells me muggle-borns and blood-traitors are evil, they're magic stealers with no right to it," I explain, sitting down opposite Granger. "So far you and the Weasleys are nice, just not Ronald."

"So you don't hate muggle-borns?" Grangers asks.

"What no? Of course, I do, magic belongs within magical families. I'm just saying you're not evil." I try to explain better.

"So we can be friends?" Granger looks up from her hands.

"We'll see." I stand up, "But there is a book I have to get so I'll see you." I lie, how do you tell someone you can't be seen with them? If any Slytherins walk in I'll have no chance of keeping family pride.

◈ ◈ ◈

The only homework we had from the week was to practice transfiguring matches but of course, I can already do that. So I get started on the essay for the spell I now will be due after the next lesson. Before I left for Hogwarts Father told me of Mcgonagall's many essays he had to write.

So on Saturday morning, I decided I might as well read a Standard book of spells, grade 1. Where's the harm in reading about and practising some magic. I struggle to read the pages in the book though, I end up having to light my wand just so I can read. Carefully, I place my wand on the pillow, right next to my head so that I'm able to see the book.

I read about a door locking charm, which might be useful if the others really do kick me out of the dorm. "Colloportus." I point my want at the door, as I say the word I drag the wand in a rectangle, but instead of completing the last side, I drag the wand down. The door clicks.

After about half an hour of reading and trying different spells, Weasel wakes up. "Would you put the bloody light out?" the redhead glares at me, he shields his eyes and stands up to leave the dorm. He turns the handle of the door, but it doesn't open as he had planned. Weasel fell to the ground in pain as he walks into the door, making enough noise to wake everyone else up.

"What's going on?" Finnigan asks blurry-eyed.

"Malfoy tried to kill me!" Weasel shouts, if someone was still asleep before they'd be awake now.

"I did nothing of the sort." I snap. "I just put a locking charm on the door and forgot to take it off, could've been anyone."

"Oh yeah, would it have been you? Or would you have waited until someone else tried it first?" Weasel asks me.

"I would have tried it and found it locked, I wouldn't have wiped out like you did," I tell him. "Alohomora." I unlock the door and leave the room, why on earth did I not pick somewhere else to read?

Over the weekend

I spend the weekend studying, without a broomstick there's not much else to do with my time. When I wasn't in the library I was under a willow tree by the black lake. I eat all my meals with Granger and the Twins sometimes Percy too but he ate all the non-dinner meals with his Ravenclaw girlfriend.