Chapter 1

I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe this was happening. I stared out the huge glass window at the Hindenburg. It was so majestic, I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The way it gleamed in the sun was breathtaking. It was as if the Hindenburg had been made just for me. I wanted to run through the window and - 

"Earth to Akash," my best friend, Aarav, practically yelled in my ear. 

Snapping out of my daze, I sheepishly handed my boarding pass and passport to the guard, who was impatiently tapping his foot. He examined my papers for a moment.

"Akash Laghari," he said

"Ja, Sir, das bin ich," I replied. Yes, sir, that's me. I waited for what seemed like forever until he said, "Alles bereit." All set.

I tried my hardest to contain my excitement as I boarded. Going to America for Cancer Research had always been my dream, and not only was that dream come true, but my dreams and fantasies of riding the Hindenburg were also coming true.

 Right as I took my seat, Aarav came running down the aisle shouting at the top of his lungs, "WE'RE GOING TO RIDE THE HINDENBURG TO AMERICA!!!!! WHOOOOOO!!!!" 

I quickly pulled Aarav aside, smiling awkwardly at the passengers behind him.

"Aarav, be quiet, your embarrassing me. And there are other ways to show your excitement besides running down the aisle shouting," I told him.

"Wow Akash, your such a buzz ki- Look look look, we're taking off," he said excitedly, pointing out the window. 

We both stared in awe as we took off. This is our first time flying, and it's so exciting! We felt a rush of emotions as we were slowly lifted into the air. The cars and trucks started to look like toys as the world below us disappeared. We spent hours just staring out the window, pointing out all the different landmarks of Germany as we passed.

After what felt like mere minutes, it was lunchtime. The lunch was amazing! The appetizer was potato soup with various spices that reminded me of India, where I spent most of my life in a small village. The main course roast lamb with sauteed green beans. And for dessert, I had chocolate cake, while Aarav had the apple tart.

We spent the afternoon on a paid tour of the Hindenburg. We got to see the cabins where we were staying. Then, we visited the kitchen, and we got to sample some of the food they were making for dinner. We got to see the lounge and the promenade, and we visited the reading and writing room. Finally, after an exhausting day, we went to dinner. I noticed that Aarav had been chatting away with someone for the duration of the tour, but I didn't think too much of it. As soon as Aarav and I got back to our cabin, we collapsed on the beds without even bothering to undress.

The next day, as soon as I woke up, I immediately felt that something was off. I didn't hear Aarav's familiar snoring. Normally I wake up way before Aarav. I check his bed, but he isn't there. I started to search our cabin, checking the front, and making my way to the back, checking every room in the cabin, but he was nowhere to be found. I started to panic. He wasn't one to normally wander off without telling me.  Where could he have gone?