Chapter Five - And Unicorns Fart Rainbows

Thanks again for reading CURBSIDE PICKUP, please remember to vote or comment! 🌟

That wasn't so bad, was it? Right? Surely, if she kept up this strenuous activity, her body would show results very soon. Right? 

If her legs would stop aching, she'd be just fine. She was sure of it. Keep up the workouts, and  she would be a sleeker, more... less obvious Ellie. Eye-catching in a better way.

Sure. And unicorns fart rainbows. Or was  it cupcakes?

Oh, stop it. This wasn't a marriage, it wasn't! What could she achieve during the nine days remaining? Ellie wondered if it were at all possible to experience... well, something like an actual honeymoon. 

Even a pretend honeymoon, but one that felt right. Normally, casual sex wasn't a go-to for Ellie. This trip wasn't real, though. She wasn't in love with Anthony, and he certainly didn't return the feeling. Hooking up with him was even more pretend than either of them expected at the outset.

They were friends. They'd made a promise. And, they were mature, intelligent, liberal-minded adults. She had protection. She was clean, and suspected Anthony was equally careful. Anything could happen. Right? 

Of course it could. The memory of his body heat as he maneuvered her through the morning's workout, spun down her body, sparking her nerve endings with its own delicious warmth. 

What could she possibly do in order to upset the balance and make something happen? To make some magic happen during their supposed fantasy island escapade?

With that thought in mind, Ellie took a detour, after lunch, to the hotel's array of shops on the first floor. She needed to up her game, especially now. As well, in the rush to pack again, she'd left her swimsuit at home. 

What she'd left behind was a neutral dark gray athletic number, which covered most of her torso. It lived in her bottom dress drawer, and was hauled out only when required by a poolside command performance. 

Working out with Anthony, though, stoked her reckless streak. He'd seen her in a workout tank and gym shorts. How would he react to seeing her if she wore even less? Did it matter? Their conversation spun through her head again.

"Say whatever you want, sweetheart. I won't repeat that blip in our personal history."

Ellie shoved that unpleasant recollection down where bad memories lived, and turned her attention back to the scraps of fabric on the hangers. Which is what they were, really. Super tiny strategic coverings, three or four postage stamps and some ribbons. These were were supposed to cover a body?

Ellie tried to imagine herself in one of these and her mind called for eye bleach. Seriously, she could tiptoe into the water, and a violent wave might sweep it away. What would Anthony do, seeing her in her altogether?

The question of whether he would spring to her aid or flee in terror had Ellie ready to back out of the shop. Courage failing, her hands dropped from the rack. She didn't belong here.

Her brain had other ideas. Yo, earth 2 Ellie. Make it happen. Find a suit that will make men's eyeballs bulge as they admire your wicked curves. Why do you think they make these itty bitty things?

Her tentative hand lifted to caress the burnt orange thong on one hanger, and she tried to imagine wearing a printed flame to cover her private parts.

... Nope. She might be wearing that style at the moment, but there was a big butt in question.

The sales assistant hovering nearby clucked in approval as Ellie let the thong drop from her fingers. "Doesn't give a girl much of an excuse, does it?" She waved at a woman strutting through the store in a swimsuit. "Go away, Shelly, this one won't be wanting what you're wearing."