Chapter 2

“Benedict, how do you not find this funny? He’s literally torn apart the whole apartment just to decorate!” I say whilst laughing.  He doesn’t answer.

“Benedict?” I say for the second time, but yet again no answer.

I look down at the gentle sleeping face resting upon my shoulder.  I smile softly.  Why am I having these overwhelming feelings of admiration?  He’s my best friend, nothing more.   Sure, I’ve played with the idea of more than that, but I wouldn’t ever do anything.  That would be ridiculous, and Benedict would definitely think I was just joking around.   Even if he did think I was serious, he would just run.   He would think I was mental or something.

Why am I even thinking about this? The mere concept of us every being more than friends is completely out of the question. 

I get up to turn the movie off, and I hear a faint groan from Benedict as he falls towards the other side of the couch.  I smile and put the movie away.

“You don’t think you’re getting out of it that easy do you?” Benedict says rubbing his eyes.

“What is it that I’m trying to get out of exactly?” I ask already knowing the answer.  It really would have been nice to not watch those horror movies.

“Don’t play stupid Martin. We are watching those movies.  Now, put it in and sit your butt down,” he says and pats the seat next to him.

“Fine, but you’re going to be the person I call when I can’t sleep for the next few weeks,” I say before slumping down on the couch next to him.

“It’s not going to be that bad, Martin.  Besides, you will always have me here to hide behind,” Benedict says with a genuine smile.

I blush and turn away.  I know he didn’t mean anything by that, but I feel like I kind of wanted it to.  I can’t believe this.  I am acting like such a teenage girl.  I don’t like him.  This is ridiculous. 

“What’s got you thinking so hard, Martin?” Benedict asks looking at me with his eyebrows raised.

“I don’t know Benedict.  Just watch your movie,” I say looking at him and he frowns.

“Okay,” he says drawing out the end of the word, “But I want you to watch it with me.”

“I’m tired,” I say beginning to stand, wanting to go up to my room.

“No!” Benedict says putting his hand on my leg, pushing me back down, “We are watching this movie.”

“Why? Why is this so important to you?” I ask starting to feel angry.

“Because this is the only time we get to spend together outside of work related things, Martin.  Forgive me for wanting to actually spend time with my best friend!” he says before looking up at me.  I turn away really fast.  Maybe if I don’t look at him – maybe he won’t be able to tell what I was thinking about.

“Look at me, Martin! Tell me what has gotten into you,” he almost yells grabbing my face turning it towards him.

“Nothing, it’s nothing,” I whisper jerking my head away from his hands.

“If you aren’t going to tell me, fine.  At least watch this with me and pretend to be having a good time,” he says pleading with me.

“Okay... One movie,” I say then smile and he returns it.  I laugh at his sudden mood change and he looks back at me confused.

“What?  Why are you laughing,” he says smiling like a child.

“You,” I say then look back at the TV.