Chapter One: An Incredible Piece of Art

This is going to be an attempt at a story: enjoy!

-------------------------------------------

Eleanor's POV

The page stares back at me and my hand shakes.

Well, go on, write.

There's nothing to write.

I turn towards the window of my spacious apartment. The sky is bluer than the sea. The clouds float by like cotton candy. I get a shiver down my spine. I decide I should allow the summer breeze in. I open the window slowly.

Giggles and voices echo through the air as families walk towards the carnival. I suddenly wish I could join them.

But, who goes to the carnival all alone?

I look down at my sundress which hasn't seen sun in who knows how long. I take in a deep breath.

It's time to go.

No more waiting for a good story to come to mind. I must go and find it.

I rush to my desk and collect the empty book and pen. Then I gather a thin sweater, my bag and my glasses. I pull my straight, dark hair into a pony tail and stuff the book in my purse.

I travel down all the stairs exiting my apartment building. I've always been afraid of elevators. Once as a child I was trapped in one, since I have stayed away from them at all cost. Even if it means climbing or descending 12 sets of stairs.

Finally, I reach the outdoors. The sun beats down on me. I check my watch and see it is 4:37 pm. I quickly follow a group of friends who look around my age into the carnival so I do not look so alone.

When my father was my age, 20, he had already founded a very successful cancer research organization. My mother was successful at my age because she was engaged to my father. Her job was to take care of the children and look nice on his arm at galas they were always invited to. Then there's my older brother and sister:

James at 20 was in medical school and had a very serious relationship with a beautiful girl named Lydia.

Caterina at 20 was a mission worker in many countries. She built new homes for people who lost them in natural disasters or could just never afford one.

Now, James is 26 and Caterina is 23. But here I am.

20.

Nothing to show.

I take a deep breath and look around at all the happy people. I decide to buy some popcorn as the smell wafts by me. I wander looking at all the colours and listening to all the sounds hoping to find some inspiration.

Then I see him.

Laughing at some joke. I wonder what it could have been to cause someone to smile as brightly as he is. He looks like an incredible piece of art. Standing there with his curly hair, dimples, smile and laugh.

Someone bumps my shoulder sending my popcorn straight to the ground and spilling their own soda all over me.

"Watch where you're going!" They bark as if it were my fault. When I look back up he's gone. The crowd seems to thicken as I search for that perfect face again.

Lost.

I sigh, knowing he was too good to be true. I finally move around. I clean myself up before, trying to look for something new. Nothing excites me. I wander around until I find a bench. I sit down and pull out my phone. I sigh.

There's nothing on my phone. I have no friends who will call or text and I definitely haven't heard from my family.

"Excuse me is anyone sitting here?" A voice asks from above me. I look up before replying.

It's him.

"No. No one." I manage to say. I feel my hands shaking again. I know he's the story I need to write.

His story.

"So, you like the carnival?" He asks awkwardly sitting beside me. I look at him in mere shock and wonder where all his friends wandered off to.

"It's okay. I guess." I say probably inaudible.

"Have you been on any of the rides? The Zipper is my personal favourite.." He says in a friendly voice.

I shake my head no. I still can't handle the fact that when I couldn't find him.

He found me.

"You don't talk much, do you?" He asks sliding down closer to me on the bench. I look at him. Most of all out of curiosity. I shrug.

I prefer writing.

I wish I would have said it. He just looks at me. His fascinated hazel eyes feel as though they could stare into my soul.

"Okay. I would like to at least know your name," he raised his eyebrows.

"Eleanor." I say. "Ashton." He extends his hand for me to shake. Which I do. It is the most awkward hand shake ever.

"I like you." He smiles. If only I could tell him how I felt about him.

"Well, let's go then!" He commands coming to his feet and reaching for my hand again. "Where are we going?" I ask. "To see the carnival. I wouldn't want a pretty girl like you to be all alone tonight." He gives me a grin I can't resist.