Chapter One

Mon. [June]

"Have a good day kids!" Mr. Reid waved. I smiled in return.

"Finally, exams are totally over!" Tessa grinned. I nodded in agreement.

"Only three more weeks until our well-deserved graduation. Can't wait until I can kick back for a while." She sighed. That sounded like a great plan. My cellphone buzzed.

"Time to head to your work? Fine go ahead." Tessa sighed. I hugged her tightly, grateful for her understandingness.

It must be an emergency if Franky's texting for me to come in early. Quickly changing and putting up my hair, I hustled into the kitchen,

"Hey Angel. Sorry 'bout the short notice, but it's as you see it. We've got our hands full." Franky sighed. Smiling, I nodded. Time to get to work.

Franky reached into the tip jar and handed the cash to me. Before I could hand it back, he held out a hand.

"You did more than cook and work the cashier as usual. This is way less than what you've really earned." He patted my head.

I took out my notepad. 'Thank you =)' I wrote.

I quickly ran to the gas station. "What's up Angel? Not much goin' on 'round here." Greg sighed. A pickup truck pulled up.

"Ha, joke's on me. Looks like we've got ourselves a customer. You mind handling it? My leg's sore." He gave a half-smile. I saluted and went outside.

"Give it a full tank, clean the windshield." The customer ordered. I nodded politely. Getting out the rag and spray, I wiped the glass while the tank was filling up. Once finished I waited by the truck.

"Did a good job kid. Here's a tip." The man whistled, handing me a twenty. Guess he's not so bad after all. Seems familiar though.

Next was the day care center.

"ANGEL!" The kids squealed.

"See, now the little demons act all warm and fuzzy. You are quite the miracle worker Angel." Alice pouted. I shook my head. They only like me since I don't... well can't yell at them. My attention was drawn to a little boy in the corner.

"That's Max. His older brother came by last week asking us to watch him. Quite the gentleman. He also has good looks." She added slyly. I rolled my eyes.

This woman is dead set on finding me a boyfriend. Her obsession is so hard to understand.

Something was bother me though I took out my notepad. 'How long does the boy stay usually?'

"Until closing time." Alice replied.

'That long?! How old is he? The boy I mean.'

"Only five, but honey. The older brother works at night." Alice said.

'He at least picks him up though right?'

"No... it's actually one of his friends." She said. My eyes ventured to the boy.

It was as if I was looking at myself. There he sat, away from the others. As if afraid.

"Angel. Everyone has their own reasons for doing things." Alice said gently. I turned, enraged.

'That is no reason to neglect a child!'

Her eyes kept soft.

Ashamed, I turned away. I shouldn't have taken it out on her. She did nothing wrong.

'I'm sorry.'

"It's quite alright dear." Alice smiled politely. Cautiously, I moved towards the boy. He was drawing. He stopped and looked at me.

"Hello." He said, a bit wary.

I gave a small wave. Turning, he grabbed more crayons and paper. Then handed them to me.

"You can draw too." He said. I smiled. While we sat and doodled, he would occasionally glance at me. Smiling I pointed to his picture and made a curious face.

"This is an evil witch who's going to take the princess." He clarified. I made a frightened expression.

"Don't worry. I'm going to stop the witch and rescue the princess." He smiled triumphantly. I did a small curtsy. For a moment, he stared at me.

"Can you talk?" He asked. Sadly, I shook my head. If I could, everything would be a lot easier... at least that's what I thought.

"Did an evil witch steal your voice?" He asked, his eyes widening. I nodded, it was something like that.

"Do you need a prince to say he loves you to get it back?" He asked, excited.

Oh, The Little Mermaid. Smiling, I nodded. Who knows? Maybe that really is what I need. "What's your name?" He asked.

'ANGEL.'

"Angel? Like one from Heaven?" He asked. With a little laugh, I nodded.

"My name is Max... Angel?" Max asked. I waited.

"Are we friends now?" He asked, hopeful Tears brimmed my eyes as I hugged him tightly. Definately. My phone buzzed. Kissing each child's head, my job at the library awaited.

Surprisingly everything went smoothly. Mrs. Gertrude didn't even scold me once. Taking the bus home. I found my Dad knocked out on the couch. Surrounded by beer bottles.

Ugh, now the living room reeks of alcohol. I tucked him in, trashed the bottles. Sprayed some Lysol too, but it still wasn't enough.

Locking myself up in my room, I pushed myself to finish my Career Plan sheet. But nothing permanent came to mind. Should I just write down my part-time jobs or what? Thunder boomed from outside. Scrambling into bed. I tried to sleep.