Ch. 08 (PG-13): Some Enchanted Evening

"A Magnificent Love", Ch. 08 (PG-13): Some Enchanted Evening, December 30, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(an original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace; All rights reserved)  [(1) story logo, top right] 

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with my dream cast of:  Richard Armitage for Richard Thorne, Sigourney Weaver for Richard's mother Elise Thorne, Jennifer Jason Leigh for Edith Thorne Burke, Haley Atwell for Christina Gilcrist, James Slattery for Frederick Burke, Harrison Ford for Prof. Percy Gilcrist, Franco Nero for Count Victor Renaldi, and others]

Author's Mature Content Note:  "A Magnificent Love" is story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships.  Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter.  This is my disclaimer.

Author's recap from the previous chapter:  Though Richard Thorne and Christina Gilcrist seemed to be heading for a mutual relationship the weekend after Christmas, they stalled after Richard proposed that Christina become his mistress--her being no one's plaything as a carefully brought up and sheltered lady of 30 years of age.  The 43 year old Richard realized his error when his brother-in-law Frederick revealed that a woman and lady such as Christina--and like his wife Edie, Richard's sister--are to be cherished if a man is so fortunate to gain their love. Though Christina would not speak with Richard when he came back to her Sunday afternoon begging her forgiveness for his boorish behavior, he left a heartfelt note for her that she considered thoughtfully.

Then Monday, December 29th brought the news that Christina's trust fund of 50 million dollars had almost all been embezzled by their long time family advisor--who was now in custody with the federal government.  And Richard was the one who had to delicately break this news to Christina and her father--while trying to assure them that they would hopefully receive part of the money back in restitution, even if Richard had to secretly fortify their finances from his personal wealth, whether or not Christina would take him back. At the moment, Christina is feeling favorable toward Richard--which is ecstatic news for Richard's mother Elise Thorne who adores Christina as her potential daughter-in-law! But there is still a courtship period and a proper engagement proposal to be navigated by Richard and Christina.  Let's just hope that Richard doesn't louse it up.

"A Magnificent Love", Ch. 08 (PG-13):  Some Enchanted Evening

The next few days after the announcement of Bruce Conroy's embezzlement of the trust funds of five prominent families--including Christina Gilcrist and her father Prof. Percy Gilcrist--are a media frenzy as Richard Thorne dreaded might happen.  Though Richard tries to shield Christina as much as he can through heightened physical security at their estate Bellhurst in the country, her working at Barnette Chicago quickly becomes unmanageable with the curious as well as the media turning up and she has to take a leave of absence for the next one to two weeks--in the hope that the interest will die down by then. Richard has been by her side every day--with taking her out to lunch the first two days she still tried to work in Chicago, as well as private Thorne-Gilcrist-Burke family dinners each night at the Thorne family mansion Ravenwood that is but five miles away from her own home Bellhurst.

It is the night of Wednesday, December 31st, and the extended Thorne and Burke family--that now includes Christina and her father--are having their own family New Year's Eve at Ravenwood. Adults and children are dressed up in their evening gowns, party dresses, and tuxes as if they were attending the huge society bash in Chicago that they normally do.  The Burke kids are playing Trivial pursuit with their parents Edie and Frederick, Grandmama Elise and her gentleman companion Count Victor Renaldi forming one team. And Prof. Gilcrist and the Burke kids forming the other team--with Prof. Gilcrist turning out to be the prize team member for the kids team--because the Burke kids know popular culture and Prof. Gilcrist knows everything else.  And Prof. Gilcrist is actually having a pleasant evening.