when she comes to a decision

+
summer.

summer checked her watch again. she had about five minutes to come to a decision, and she didn't have many options.

summer's options.
1) walk home from the tram stop. good exercise, but it was a long way, and she still didn't know her house address yet.
2) call her foster mum. easy trip home but ruby was working all the time and she never had the car.
3) call her foster brother, nick. ha.
4) catch the mother-fucking tram.

she was sitting on the edge of the curb near the school, staring out at the trams lined up. highschool kids were filing onto them already, filling them up.

even if summer got out of catching the tram this afternoon, she'd still have to face hell again tomorrow morning.

the girl - the one who'd glared daggers at her this morning - it was like she had been hired to kill summer in a past life and hadn't finished the job, so she was back to do it for real. all day, her and her friends had giggled at her and whispered behind her back. you could practically see the devil horns in her black hair.

summer couldn't tell if the weird blonde kid who finally let her sit down was one of them, or if he was just stupid. he couldn't be that dumb, could he? surely not, because he was in her accelerated english and maths class.

summer's foster mum, ruby, had insisted she take the accelerated courses, especially when she was looking over summer's previous report cards from her last school.

whatever, summer thought, she could stare out the windows at the clouds just as easily at this school. there were certainly enough windows.

if she even came back to school tomorrow.

if she even got home tonight.

summer couldn't tell ruby about the tram situation because she had already offered summer an alternative that morning, before she rushed off to work.

'nick's offered to take you,' she said as she handed summer a sock to hang up on the clothing line. 'your new school is on his way to work.'

'will he make me sit in the back next to the empty alcohol bottles?'

'you know he's trying to help you summer,' ruby had sighed, 'the least you could do is pretend to be nice back. i told him you were ready to be a part of our family.'

'i already am,' summer muttered. 'like, a member of the family you can take out when you want, and forget me when you don't need me.'

'summer, please,' ruby had sighed again.

'look, i'll just catch the bus. maybe i'll meet some new friends,' summer said, knowing full-well that she wouldn't.

summer's tram was going to leave soon. a few of the others were already pulling away. somebody jumped off the curb next to summer and accidentally kicked her satchel. she was going to say sorry when she looked up and saw the frowning face of the blonde boy from that morning. she frowned right back at him as he rushed past and up the steps of the tram.

jesus, summer huffed, standing up and pulling her bag onto her shoulder. i guess the children of hell won't starve today.

+

thankyou for all the positive feedback and votes :-) help me get this story ranked early by voting for each chapter (ill update sooner too), and check out my ongoing ashton fanfic x