Prologue

Iadala was exhausted. She had been climbing the mountain for about a day now and her calves were burning in pain, but the anticipation of getting to the top of the mountain and finding the beautiful view to capture was what kept her going. It was monsoon season around this time of year, but she had been lucky to have a sunny day without the terrible heat of India causing her to have heat stroke. She felt a soft breeze caress her face as she climbed higher, when she finally reached the top. She halted suddenly and she literally felt her heart stop. The view was breathtaking. She could depict a waterfall farther down if she squinted hard enough to look through a white, partially transparent cloud. A rainbow shot straight out of it and curved into the horizon, going on forever. Birds fluttered above the trees to the right; some were bright blue, others orange and red and green... I had never seen such colorful birds in my life. I quickly snapped out of my reverie and grabbed my camera, bent over on one knee and looked through the lens. I focused the image and suddenly the world stopped. I drew in a breath, enjoying the view once again, and snapped the picture at the perfect moment. I sat there for a while longer to regain my strength and also because a part of me couldn't quite separate myself from this heaven. As I lay down on the ground to further appreciate the scenery, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my back. I turned around and, to my surprise, found a large green stone attached to a gold chain. I reached for the necklace but the instant my skin touched the rock it began to glow a bright green. I watched with fascination as the light dimmed, then quickly hid it in my bag. I put the brown leather strap over my shoulder and felt the weight double as the necklace hit the bottom of my bag. I finally noticed the sun disappearing into the land and decided it was time to head back. I reluctantly sat up, started heading south and threw one last glance over my shoulder before climbing the rest of the way down.