Swallowing Down Glass

I'm running.

Running as fast as I could possibly go.

My feet hurt from running so much-not to mention, I'm not used to running for so long like this. I never had to. In fact, the only time I really even did was those occasions were my little brother wanted to play tag outside, and, that was just our yard at home. Not an endless supply of roads and paths that stretch miles away from my home. And it was only he who chased me, not a bunch of samurai with swords!

It feels like my lungs are on fire from running so much, as if I had taken sharp, jagged, pieces of glass, crammed them into my throat, and then gulped them whole. As I try to swallow down my urge to cry, I imagine the glass ripping at my flesh as it makes its way into my stomach, leaving horrible scars and filling my throat with red liquid. I coughed loudly as if I were choking to death on my own my own blood.

You know what? I wouldn't even be running if he hadn't grabbed me, snatched me up like a ragdoll, and, put his hands on me. That was HIM, not me!

Of course I would have fought back...Did he expect me not to?

It his fault I'm being chased, it's his fault I'm lost, and, it's HIS fault he's dead!

I can hear shouting from this distance. Clearly, they're catching up to me, and once they catch me, they aren't going to go easy on me- a person who had just killed somebody and caused all kinds of chaos. Even if I try to tell them what happen, and, actually have a chance at explaining my predicament, they wouldn't believe me..

I try to pick up my pace, and turn the corner.

For a brief second, I think I lost them. There was a long silence and all I could hear was the crickets chirping. No sounds of feet hitting the ground or shouts from angry men. When I find myself stopping to catch my breath, I stare into the darkness...listening...

A swift gust wind came towards me, shooting right past my ear.
It was a spear that was launched at me.
What will I do?!