In Which Shouta Is Unenthused For a Certain Holiday

It was Christmas Day, and Shouta was apprehensive. He had a son, now-- he had a son. But he'd never liked Christmas.

It all started when... hell, he sounded like Dr Doofenshmirtz, didn't he, with all his tragic backstories? He didn't like Christmas because he'd never gotten to celebrate it before. He didn't like Christmas because as a child, he'd always see the other kids talking in excitement about it, about seeing family and getting presents and celebrating with holiday cheer while he was stuck in his old, rotting orphanage.

Yes, he'd been an orphan. Of course he'd been an orphan, with a quirk like his. None of his family had nullifying quirks. All of theirs were abilities for "proper heroes", while the only thing he'd been suited for was a villain who stole people's power. He'd tried to explain that it was temporary, he didn't actually steal the quirks, but they couldn't deal with his lack of control, couldn't deal with constantly being on edge about losing a quirk. And so, at age five, he'd been given to the orphanage.

The other kids had treated him with the same fear and disgust his family had. They gathered together on Christmas Eve to talk and sip at hot chocolate by the fire, and he'd sat in the shadows wishing he could be a part of it. That's how he'd always remembered the holidays. In the shadows, wishing to be a part of something. Wishing to not be alone.

Hitoshi looked nervous but excited. Shouta gave his shoulder a quick squeeze. He hadn't enjoyed the holiday as a child, but by God, he was going to make sure his son had the best experience that could be hoped for.

They all sat on the train, swathed in Hizashi's handmade Christmas sweaters and pyjama pants. Hizashi's hair was in a low bun, and Hitoshi's was tucked into a dark blue beanie. Shouta had let Toshi braid his hair in a short and messy French braid, and he'd refused to take it out when Toshi said he messed up.

It was a short ride to the Midoriyas' house. They disembarked and walked a couple of blocks, arriving at a large apartment complex. After finding the proper apartment, both families exchanged quick greetings as the Aizawa-Yamadas stepped inside.

Both Shouta and Hizashi smiled at Hitoshi's excited grin at seeing Izuku. The first few days the pair spent with Hitoshi, he'd barely smiled at all, but as time went on and a couple of weeks past, he was already smiling more. He laughed gently and cooed at the cats, beamed when one of his fathers asked if he wanted to go to the bookstore, wore a soft and grateful expression when he took the first sip of his morning coffee. Shouta hoped it wasn't too late for Hitoshi to have a proper childhood.

The Midoriyas looked surprised to see them this early, and the house was only half decorated. Inko rubbed the back of her neck as she explained this, looking embarrassed, but she was relieved when her guests offered to help.

It was a warm and cosy home, dimly lit by various lamps and the roaring fireplace, and the tree was already set up, the lights emitting a soft glow that bathed the room in reds and greens. Shouta felt his cheeks warm up immediately. The smell of pine and gingerbread cookies filled his nose, and he closed his eyes, just taking it in.

Both families got to work, putting up wreaths and stockings, setting up small decorations on the mantelpiece. Shouta and Inko got to work setting up the snow village on a side table. A voice caught his attention moments after he'd set up the little pawn shop.

"I'm Eraserhead! Submit or face my mighty combat skills!" Izuku cried, and Hitoshi's face lit up with laughter as he ran around the house trying to evade his friend. The two skirted around the house, boxes and wrapping paper flying from around their feet, slipping on ribbon and cardboard.

After a hearty chase around the house, Izuku ended up wrapping Hitoshi in a string of tinsel that was apparently supposed to be Aizawa's capture scarf. In a fateful vengeance, Hitoshi plopped a bow ribbon on Izuku's head. "Because you're a gift," he said, grinning.