The Rejects Vol. 1

Chapter 1

Earth, a home for life in abundance. Beaming with animals of all kinds sharing symbiotic relationships that are still not fully understood by scientists of the 22nd century. Tall buildings and flying cars, A time where artificial intelligence has reached its peak and is being used in our everyday lives. This is where I call home. After a period of deadly diseases that fused with high radiation, Human beings went through another phase of evolution which caused them to have strange abilities. Abilities that were only dreamt about by humans long ago and written about for storytelling. The stories told in those days would have a small number of individuals who were deemed "different" and ultimately defeating adversaries for the sole purpose of being titled "Hero". In our time, half the human race have special abilities and only the best of the best are selected to be a part of the S.P.E.C.S (Super Powered Elite Corporal Services). Our parents were high ranked S.P.E.C.S agents who led several extra-terrestrial missions to other planets in and around our universe. Jerald and Maddie White were descendants of the first generation of survivors who made it out of the "Cursa era" where humans were dying in large numbers to the deadly disease labelled Cursa. Cursa was an experiment done for population control of specific animals but later got out of hand when humans ate infected animals. The Cursa gene that was exposed to the high levels of radiation over time became an enhancer to the human host causing them to have abilities that were once unattainable. January 15, 2152, Our planet was invaded by the Stergeons who managed to kill a large number of both Nogenes and low leveled Cursagenes within minutes of their invasion. The Stergeons were vicious nomadic aliens who invade other planets for recruiting new members and stealing resources create mass weapons of destruction. They were taller in stature in comparison to a normal height human being and exhibited similar body types as well.  My parents were able to place my siblings in a safe haven that was designed by the government in case of invasions of this magnitude. My brother Reyjohn and I were not at home when the invasion took place and so I was able to create a force field that acted as a safe haven for us while our school building was coming down. Mom and Dad were in a frantic state of mind looking for us, they came to our rescue as my force field became weak. Both my parents had the abilities of flight and super-strength but my mom had a third ability of echolocation and my Dad had a third ability of Sonicboom. After finding in us they brought us to the safe haven and then it happens, the stergeons came to attack our safe haven. Reyjohn was still in my mother's arm crying on top of his lungs not wanting to let go but I already knew what I had to do at this moment. "R&B please take Reyjohn into the safe haven and do not come out until the invasion is over, remember I love you!" Mom said before doing our signature wave of saying goodbye. "No matter what, stand guard for your brothers and sisters," Dad said before engaging in battle with the stergeons.
We waited for several hours in a safe haven. "R&B, will mommy and daddy be ok?" Said Momo with her face rinsed in utter concern. "Yes Momo, everything will be just fine, Mom and Dad are super awesome". After waiting for a while, the Alarm went down and the safe-haven opened automatically. I gathered my siblings and exited the safe haven as it is a sign that the invasion was over, everyone who survived were in complete shambles, fallen buildings everywhere, dust, rubble, bodies, pieces of bodies, you name it! Everywhere! Our parents were a part of the agents who lost their lives in the battle. The pain of losing my parents was excruciating, I lost my superheroes that day and had no idea what to do. It was through my crying that I had awakened my second ability which is supersonic shock waves. The scream was so piercing it stunned everyone around me but for a strange reason, it didn't have any effect on the baby of the group. Chad had no idea what happened as he was only 5 months old at the time. A few weeks after the tragedy, the funeral was being held for all the agents who passed during the invasion. The thickness of the crowd made it even more depressing for my siblings at the time due to the overwhelming morning of those who lost a loved one. Just imagine a 13-year-old being left to be a parent to his six younger siblings with no experience whatsoever, yeah, During the Pastor's sermon I was already plotting my course of action of being the best caretaker for my siblings. Our Aunt Lydia decided to come live with us just so the Government did not place us into the system. She collected her pay but wasn't the best Auntie in the world. " R&G! Make sure to clean the house, I'll be out!" She exclaimed while strutting towards the door. I turned to her and said, " and where are you going, Auntie?" She had the nerve turning to me with her laser-sharp eyebrows and overly done 2012 make up, telling me to "shut up!" And explaining to me that she is a grown woman with needs. I wanted to tell her off so bad but I remembered the voice of my mom reminding me that a "soft answer turneth away wrath" and so I had to bite my tongue and leave her to her miserable life. She left us in the house alone, broke and no food, I had to put my chef cap on and make dinner for my brothers and sisters. I would always make my gourmet "mac n cheese" for them as it is the only thing I knew how to prepare from scratch with perfection. They better like it and be grateful for what the Lord has provided because there was nothing else in the house that I knew how to prepare properly at that age. 5 years later, our Auntie Lydia passed away due to a cocaine overdose. I was 18 at the time and was therefore considered an adult and so I was able to take care of my siblings with no hassle from the government. I never had the opportunity of going to physical school like my younger siblings but I was well-read, in fact, I still managed to have scored high marks in my scholastic placement exams and was ready to apply for S.P.E.C.S as my parents did. Yeah, that didn't work out at all! Failed the interview aspect of the application and apparently, I did not exhibit the kind of "attitude" needed for an agent. On my way home from our S.P.E.C.S New York branch, I stumbled upon a poster which had details of an underground music joint that had an open spot for an aspiring singer, I happened to know a guy (me) who would gladly take this opportunity.