Prologue

Midnight in Paris was beautiful.

It was at night that the city awakened to bask in its artificial light. One would have thought the endless rows of glowing boxes were simply stars that had decided to come down and inhabit all the windows; so attracting was the allure of the city, even great heavenly bodies wanted to contribute to its glow. Yet none of it could ever compare to the towering spear that poked fun at the sky for taking all its stars, mockingly frosted in gold.

Aimée took in her view from her balcony, this treasure chest of a city that possessed the most luxurious, hazy gold in the world. She scoffed at the idea of Dorothy and her desperation to go to the Emerald City; Aimée already had a golden one at her feet. Aimée gazed out from her balcony.

She hated everything in sight.

She had grown too attached. She should have known her parents would yearn for the world and relocate again. Aimée never wanted to leave.

Aimée sighed, tearing her eyes away from the mesmerizing lights and turning to walk back into her room. Compared to the bright smile of the outside, her room was cold, its only source of light the glowing white patch of her laptop screen.

Aimée floated down unto her bed and climbed under her duvet. She opened the new chat message she had received.

Christophe.

The corners of her mouth involuntarily turned up at the mere idea of him.

                              ChrisCo: Where to now?

 Aimée smiled sadly as her fingers flew across her keyboard.

                              Aim_V: Munich.

                              ChrisCo: You might like it.

                              Aim_V: Tu rigoles. You are kidding.

                              ChrisCo: Je ne suis pas. I am not.

                              Aim_V: I will find it drab and boring.

She had already been there before. Aimée thought back to her brief visits to Munich. She liked Germany and its people, but only for visiting. Aimée could never picture herself living there. Cold and gray, like slate. This is not to say that Aimée didn’t like it because of that; Aimée loved the rain. But rainy days in Paris are romantic, promising. Rainy days in Munich were sorrowful and apologetic.

                              ChrisCo: I’m sure Munich’s going to be yet another adventure. It can’t be nearly as boring as where I am.

                                ChrisCo: Nothing ever changes here.

Hours after saying goodnight to Christophe, Aimée became fixated by what Christophe said.

Nothing ever changes here.

By morning, Aimée decided to make one final change in her life, irreversible and irrevocable in her eyes. She closed her laptop and pulled out her valise, her mind already whirring to decide which clothes she would need to pack.

She was leaving Paris. She was leaving Europe.

Her departure was at seven o’ clock that evening. From then, in approximately eleven hours, for the first time in her life, she would step onto U.S. land and see Seattle, Washington.

She would meet Christophe for the first time.

<<<>>>

Author's Note:

What better way to start my new year than with a new story? This one is short and more of a feel-good book. I definitely enjoy writing it and hopefully you enjoy reading it.

Tell me what you think, comment, share your thoughts, and I love you for giving this start a chance.

Cheers to new stories and new chapters in our lives,

Lawr