Chapter 19

Link's Perspective-

I fall out of the angel's grip once we hit the ground. I can feel the pain, and it hurts terribly, but I slide to the edge of the chasm. I almost fall, but I use my good arm to pull myself up from the sea. I roll over, and start frantically looking for Pit. "Pit? Pit?!" I continue to shout into the quiet atmosphere, as we are on the other side of the Fields of War. I hear nothing in response, and my chest tightens. "Pit, please answer me!!!" I cough after I say that, but finally see a shifting of white. My face pales when I see the angel almost completely motionless, his breathing extremely small. I kneel down and hold him to my chest, "Please give me a sign." My arm yells in protest, but I can't worry about it now. "Pit, give me anything," I plead softly. Nothing. "Anything..." Nothing. My hopes are dropping dramatically. I shake him lightly, and cradle him. The only thing I can do is pray to Hylia.

Finally, there is a dry cough from the angel. His eyes open slowly, showing a daze. He raises his hand up to my face and attempts to sit up, but I hold him down, and curse again, "Dammit Pit, why did you do that? You can't just do that to me and die!" He gives a weak smile and says, "I... did owe you." I see his gaze shift up to the stars in the sky a certain spot where the clouds have cleared. He starts rambling, almost making me tear up, "We did it, right? T..The mo-monsters are gone now, right?" I nod slowly, and whisper, "Yes, they are gone." His focus is distant, as he wheezes again, I can feel the collapse in his ribcage. I squeeze his hand as he continues, "Is e-everyone okay?" I didn't have a complete answer for him, "I'm sure they are." I see a star fragment reflect in his eyes, as they twinkle with admiration. He looks at me and asks, "How b-badly are you hurt?" I lie, "Not that much..."

"No, Link... how bad is your head, and arm?"

"They're fine, but you need to not push yourself."

"Link... please tell me, because I don't want you to... die."

"But you are the one who just crashed from the sky thousands of feet in the air! I am not as bad as you are," I say that when look at his wings, burnt and twisted. I start to stand up, and am about to carry him, when he pulls on my tunic and begs, "Wait, Link." He wheezes again, and a bit of blood is spilling out of his mouth. I glance at him uneasily, my eyes filling with tears, which doesn't happen on a regular basis. "I have... one more gi-gift for you," he starts. I hush him, but he raises his voice, "No, Link, you don't und-understand! I need y-you to listen!" I draw a sharp breath and am about to protest, when he uses his strength to plant a simple kiss on my cheek. Some color goes back to my own face, but my heart shatters when he whispers, "I can't tell you... how much... I love you. You s-should know that, but I c-can repeat it if I h-have the chance." I feel his head drop back, and he closes his eyes softly. At this instant, I stand up, the limp angel in my arms, though my broken arm is in complete rebellion. I feel my legs shake wildly, but I press on to where the other fighters might be, so far away...

I then realize how much pain I'm in, my back aches, and my head spins faster than a top, but I carry on. Blood drips from my forehead as I growl, "I will not give up." I trudge in the grass, strength slowly leaving my feet. I grit my teeth in the pain, and start stumbling. I tighten my grip on the angel, determined to make it back. My eyes lose focus multiple times, but I continue to push along. "Nice to meet you Link," the angel's voice rings in my head and echoes in my ears, as I walk under the dark sky. My breathing starts becoming irregular, but I keep going. I feel slight stirring from angel, a sign of him still being alive. "Only the most dedicated of fighters do something like that." "Thanks a bunch! It feels great!" "Now go show them a real, dedicated fighter!" "I have you to thank..." I fight away more tears in my eyes, as I trip over a small pebble. I stand my ground, but my legs are numb. I stagger in the grass, using some of my strength to yell, "H-Help! P-Pit's down, I need your help!" I fall down in the grass, unable to go on. I cradle the wounded angel, starting to hear some shouting and movement up ahead. My eyes close shut, and I remember no more.