Eight

"Hellooo! Earth to Violet!" Ames said as she waved her hand across my face, trying to catch my attention.

"Huh—ano?" I responded as I shifted my gaze towards her. Ames was giving me a questioning look with one of her eyebrows raised while Dahlia was sipping on her water.

It was already the first week of the second semester. I was currently having lunch with the girls inside a popular pizza and pasta place. Vacant namin ngayon so were able to meet up except for Persie, who was missing in action.

Napailing si Ames. "Lutang ka girl. Kulang nalang pasukin na ng langaw 'yang bunganga mo," pinanlakihan niya ako ng mata as she shifted her eyes to my current state.

Napatingin ako sa kamay ko at doon ko lang napagtanto na I was holding a fork with some pasta mid-air. I wasn't eating it, I was just holding it close to my mouth. Probably because kanina pa ako hindi mapakali kakaisip, I didn't even realize na kanina pa ako nakaganitong posisyon. Ano ba yan, nagmukha tuloy akong tanga.

"Gago," I said to her bago isinubo ang pasta sa bibig ko at inis na nginunguya ito.

Kanina ko pa iniisip kung anong isasagot kay Bailey. Actually, noong last week pa nga eh. After what happened that day when he confessed his feelings for me, I told him na pag-iisipan ko muna. That's when I started avoiding him again, I was going back to my usual habit—pushing people away. I don't know, maybe I was avoiding him because I didn't know what to say to him. He always texts me, asking me if I already ate or how I was doing. Although, I usually respond to his texts but that was the only communication we had. I do see him at the university but I just chicken out and go the other way as to not cross paths with him.

The truth is I do like him. Sino bang babae ang hindi mafafall sa kanya? He's caring, determined and understanding. He had clear goals and knows what he wants in life. He's a good man. And it's ironic how I like him but at the same time, I keep avoiding him. I know my actions are making him confused. I mean sino bang hindi? I was complicated. Last week, okay naman kami but the next week, I was avoiding him. Why did he even like me at the first place? Who was I to catch his attention? I'm just a coward who's scared to admit my own feelings.

Ames just continued talking about something while I was nodding along, pretending to listen to her rants. I glanced at Dahlia who was done eating when I noticed she only took one slice of pizza.

"Diet?" I mouthed at her.

She smiled. "Busog pa ako," whispering silently as to not disturb Ames with her monologue. I just eyed at her suspiciously when I heard my phone vibrated on the table. I opened my phone, still nodding along to what Ames was saying and found a text message.

From: Bailey

Hey, Kumain ka na ba?

To: Bailey

Yes, I'm having lunch with the girls.

From: Bailey

Let's hang out after? :)

I suddenly could feel my cheeks blushing. Bailey would often ask me out on dates but being the way that I am, I usually reason out na I was busy or something important came up. He was very understanding though, he was very patient with me which kind of made me feel bad for always rejecting his offers. Violet, ano ba talaga?! I couldn't even make up my mind yet on whether I will agree to let him court me, let alone talk to him personally! Gusto ko nang sabunutan ang sarili ko. I calmed myself before I responded.

To: Bailey

Sorry, I have to study :(

I know it sounded like an excuse but It was actually true. I had two major tests on Monday and I needed to study twice as hard to maintain my grades. I didn't like to cram my tests. Last time that happened, muntik na akong matanggal sa pagka DL. I sighed before I turned my phone off and placing it back on the table.