Casting Stones [2]

HP: 30/30
ENERGY: 14/20
HUNGER: 0/10
MP: 20/20
_________________________________________
Aliana looks at you pleadingly. You can't help but give in to her wish. "Fine.." you tell her with a smirk. She wouldn't believe you anyways.

"I grew up in Harube. When I was a boy, my family went out to sea for a fishing trip. There was a storm, and I was the only one who survived. Until I was old enough to travel, I made money by fishing off the pier. I never boarded a boat since the storm. When I was a teen, barely a man, I traveled the journey that we will set off for today, and I made it alone. I stayed with the dwarves in the mountains for a long time. The dwarves had an elf with them. An exile. You would assume that he was my teacher, but no. He refused to talk about magick at all. His sealed lips only fueled my curiosity, and I set out. I met the fabled phoenix on the path to the wood, and it let me pass, leaving the mark of one of its fiery feathers along the spine of my back." You pull off your tunic to show Aliana the mark. It's blackened feathery shape is still the same as ever. She gasps at the sight of it. You continue your retelling, regardless. "As I came across the phoenix on the path, I decided that I didn't want to run into any more trouble and thus took the route through the forest. I encountered many wild beasts there. The dragon found me one day, and it saw the mark of the phoenix upon my spine. She offered to teach me magick. I accepted gratefully. Over the course of two years, the dragon taught me to cast spells and create elixrs. One day, the dragon told me that I was ready. I hiked through the thick forest for months when I finally stumbled upon the northern gate of Loope City, where we are now. I made my home here, all the while honing my skills." Aliana looks at you in awe. She was neither disgusted, nor thought of you as a fool. You felt a great wave of relief wash over you.

Aliana lets out a yawn and says "Oh boy, it's getting late. I should get home." As she pivots towards the door she tosses her hair over her shoulder and says to you "I've heard your story before. To think the legendary Sasha was a man.. I always just thought that your parents wished you were a girl." She smiles and walks out the tavern door.

You walk home from the tavern after processing what she had said. That was the first time that someone hadn't called you a liar or a nuisance.

'She was just drunk..' you thought to yourself as you walked into your home. You collapse onto your bed without even undressing. The world fades away as you fall into a shallow sleep.

ENERGY +2
ENERGY: 16/20
HUNGER +4
HUNGER: 4/10

You wake up the next morning feeling as tired as the night before, even after oversleeping half an hour. You are left with half an hour to gather your adventuring supplies.

You are starving, so you pack some jerky to eat for breakfast on the road. You hurry about your home, gathering necessary items for travel: Your spell book, healing potions, mana potions, rations, armor, your enchanted sword, first aid supplies, a revive feather (very rare), and things of the like.

After the time passes, you set out to meet the rest of the caravan at the city's northern gates. While waiting for everyone to show up, Aliana approaches you and says "That was one hell of a tale, mate!" She smiles at you as she scrunches up her nose.

'She really didn't believe me... I can't believe I was foolish enough to think a drunken maiden believed my wild story...' You think to yourself. Your thoughts are interrupted when Aliana begins to speak once more.

"I can hardly believe that I've been travelling with the renowned Sasha, all this time. I can't believe I haven't thought to ask. How come you had never told us?" She speculates.

"Just as you said mate, you hadn't asked." You reply. You didn't think she would take it well how you felt about your own story. There was something that you were not so truthful of. Of course, you could never tell her that.

As the last of the caravan arrives, they begin casting stones. Casting stones is a way of voting. Basically, everyone finds a pebble and places it in one of two piles. Whichever pile is bigger wins. In this case, the piles are for taking the road or the woods.

You wander off to find a pebble of your own, when you wander up to a market stall and see a black hooded cloak for 2 GOLD. [18 GOLD] You purchase the cloak and fasten it around your shoulders. [16 GOLD].

You find a pebble and wander back to the group.
_________________________________________
There is two choices. You could either take the path and risk being attacked by bandits and dark elves, or take a route through the forest and risk going toe to toe with the dragon, or getting lost among the foliage. What will you choose?

Chapter 4: The Path: 1-3, 1-10
Chapter 5: The Forest: 4-6, 11-20