Jimmy & Darcy: A Lavender Funeral

Charmed CW characters belong to Charmed CW. Denis and Tera, Darcy, Della, and Dora Valensi are my imagination at work. Light research was conducted for context.

19 Jimmy & Darcy: A Lavender Funeral

9 am, Madalena Village, Azores, Epicenter Pico No. 22, Garden & Family Cemetery, August 1, 1941

Jimmy, Dora, and Della rose and, picking up Darcy's body, proceeded to the back garden (Morgana was busy sniffing a couple of plumerias and paid them no heed), then further up a path hidden by a several-foot-high thicket of tropical lavender rhododendrons. The family cemetery. Jimmy noticed that a fresh grave had already been dug, with Darcy's name and birthdate on the headstone. They gently laid her in a simple wooden casket, placed it six feet into the ground, and covered it with topsoil that had gathered in a pile next to them. Jimmy sensed that the funeral rites were faster than normal due to the need for Darcy's privacy and Matias' safety on the island.

The next half hour was a blur. Dora and Della said a few words that sounded vaguely like prayer. When they asked if Jimmy wanted to say anything, he mentioned that he wrote song lyrics in memory of Darcy. They asked if they could hear it, and Jimmy acquiesced, with the caveat that he was extraordinarily amateurish, and nowhere near as gifted as their sister. Dora, Della, and Jimmy had a small laugh over that, followed by silence, except for the chirping bullfinches and the buzzing bees overhead.

"Darcy," Jimmy began, "these are the song lyrics I was working on the other day...as I told your sisters, they're not as cool or as sultry or as snazzy as yours, but they come from the heart, and my heart is true." He sang the stanzas with a tune he improvised himself, that sounded similar to the songs they had danced to in the past.

"We'll meet again in the summer of May

I'll see your silhouette somehow, someday.

You'll see my furtive glance,

And darling we'll take that second chance.

Or find me in the forest evergreen,

On a tree I'll jauntily lean.

Don't ask me why;

Just darling, please don't cry.

A Victorian house beckons us near,

As our love once more will be crystal clear.

It'll be an auspicious sign;

We'll toast with Sauvignon wine,

Forever,

My always,

My valentine."

Jimmy finished singing. "That was an exquisite send-off," Dora and Della whispered, and he could see tears falling from their cheeks.

10 am, Madalena Village, Azores, Epicenter Pico No. 22, Kitchen, August 1, 1941

Some time went by for reflection, after which the three (plus Matias) returned to the back garden and into the kitchen, where Morgana was waiting for them with freshly-cut plumeria flowers in a tiny glass vase.

"We will care for Matias as though he were our own son." Dora and Della told Jimmy, as if reading his mind. "We are healers and he will be well looked after, in body, mind, and spirit; our neighbor's daughter Morgana will be like a big sister to him, won't you Morgana?" Morgana nodded her head up and down solemnly; the girl couldn't have been more than four years old. Jimmy watched in the corner of his eye as Della pulled a large, ancient book off a nearby bookshelf.

"Does Matias have a middle name?" asked Della.

"Not that I know of," replied Jimmy. Dora shot Della a knowing look, and Della wrote Matias' name in the Valensi family records book. The group crowded over Della to watch her calligraphic script form individual letters, then words.

"Westwell," Della said. "His middle name will be Westwell. You saved his life, after all—"

"Thank you," Jimmy whispered, tearing up.

10:30 am, Madalena Village, Azores, Epicenter Pico No. 22, Doorstep, August 1, 1941

Jimmy bade farewell to Della, Dora, and Morgana, and kissed Matias' forehead, silently hoping that one day, he would be able to see Matias again, and perhaps visit Darcy's grave in the Azores once the war was over. He tossed the black marble in the air, and jumped through the portal, transporting him to the Mauve Flat.

11:35 am GMT, Oldham, Greater Manchester, The Mauve Flat, August 1, 1941

Jimmy landed in Darcy's bedroom closet in the Mauve Flat with a small bang and walked to the kitchen to fix himself a cup of Earl Grey tea.

Oddly enough, there was already a cup waiting for him.

Celeste stepped out of the kitchen's shadows, her dark robes trailing after her like plumes of smoke. "We need to talk."