two

"What the- Hey, lady!"

***

Brendon arrived at Mona's karate studio, where she practised, in a yellow taxi. The rain was pouring down from the sky as he got out an umbrella and stepped out of the car to collect her. She was standing by the doorway, her blonde hair tied up in a ponytail. Mona wore a pink flowery coat over her karate getup.

As soon as she saw Brendon, she ran over, hugging his legs. "Hey, squirt!" His hand ruffled her hair as he led her back to the taxi. "How was karate?"

"I... I'm not sure about it." She mentioned. "My friend, Chloe, said that she's learning to play guitar. Can't I do that instead?"

He hesitated. "Maybe when you're a bit older, let's just stick with karate for a while longer."

"But you used to play it." Mona recalled. 

"Yeah, but only when I was in high school. Come on, let's get inside." He let her climb into the taxi as Brendon closed his umbrella. Before getting in himself, he shook some of the rain off of his umbrella and walked around to the other side of the car. As they both settled into the taxi, Brendon reached into his bag. "Hey, I got you something."

He took her present, encased in gold star patterned wrapping paper, and handed it to Mona. Her eyes lit, starting to unwrap it excitedly. However, her face dropped when she saw what it was. "A book?"

She didn't like it, he could tell from the disgust shown in her face. "Oh, come on. Don't give me that look. I know it's not that fairy tale book you wanted, but this is better." Brendon leaned over, opening up the book which was about famous women in history. "Look at this. See? Rosa Parks. Madame Curie." He pointed at two pages, showcasing two extraordinary women of their time. "She was a remarkable woman who dedicated her life to research... until she died from... radiation poisoning."

Mona's eyes widened. "She... died?"

His phone started to ring, interrupting their conversation. "I wonder who that is." He said, checking the Caller ID.

Sarah

Brendon smiled, answering and putting the phone up to his ear. "Yeah, hi. Tomorrow morning would be great. 7:30?" He glanced over at Mona who was flicking through the pages. "With her now?- Yes, let me call you later. All right. Bye-bye." He hung up, turning back to his niece. "That was Sarah."

She looked up, simpering slightly and nodding. "Mm-hmm." 

"She's a lot like the women in your book." He thought, although she seemed uninterested. It was time to spring it on her. "Sweetie... I'm going to ask her to marry me."

Her eyes widened, surprised. "What?"

"Yeah, you like her, don't you? We all get along." Brendon noted.