The School and the student

It was the 21st of August year 1997 when I first stepped within this school’s premises. I transferred to this school because I’ve heard how great the people here are. They’re hospitable, helpful, wise, unselfish, knowledgeable, and Heroic. Now, after 2 months and 14 days of summer, school finally starts once more. As I walked the hallways alone, I felt small and it was as if I was an outcast among the crowd. The bell rang and I went straight to the auditorium where the orientation for new students, and old, will be held.

I sat on the first row to have a better view . Later on, someone sat beside me. I glanced, curiously, to whom the person could be. “Wow”, that was the first thing that popped into my mind. I’m probably under a spell. Black hair, beautiful eyes, and skin tanned like gold. I was hypnotized by the beautiful sight that draw my attention. She looked at me and gave me a frightened look and that’s when I realized that I’ve been starring at her for a long time with my jaw dropped. I suddenly looked away.  Oh how embarrassing it was.

The emcee finally arrived. He was about 6 feet tall and he had a stern look on his face. His name is Mr. Pinoy , the  head of the school. As he stepped unto the stage, he bid us all a great big welcome, then introduced himself, discussed about the school’s history, which was later on followed by the do’s and don’ts within the school.

These are what he told us:

Do not  cheat

Do not lie

Do not steal

Do not Litter

Do not cut classes

Do not waste food

No fighting

No gadgets

No sharp objects, unless the teacher informed him about it.

Never be late

The rules where simple and common in a lot of schools. It was actually really easy to follow but breaking those 10 simple rules has penalties that gave me the creeps.

Penalties are:

1. a week of cleaning  and/or cafeteria duties

2. a one thousand – word essay about “ What a student must not do” and one must be passed to the principle everyday for 5 days.

3. PTC

4. wash all 100 animals in the school’s farm which was located outside the gates beside the school.

5. imprisonment in the underground  dungeons of the school for 2 days.

I was surprised to know how cruel the penalties are but I wasn’t afraid of any of them for I know that I won’t be breaking any of the rules.

Mr. Pinoy finally finished his speeched, bid us farewell “hope you enjoy this school year and remember our 10  rules students” he said before he dismissed us all for our recess

I sat in a corner at the cafeteria, alone and still friendless of course when out of a clear sky, I heard someone.

“Psssst”

“huh”? I looked around

“Hey, over here!”

It was a boy, about my age, who was calling me. I think.

“me?” I pointed at myself

“yes you” He stood up and sat beside me.

“Hi I’m Andres” He said with a friendly smile that somehow made me feel comfortable