Chapter 20

Sunset turned to Stargazer. "Maybe the purple NightWing is right... it just tickles, that is all. You are smart. I guess I could do that... If you're really sure you want to escape tonight." 

Stargazer nodded. "We got to escape!"

"Stargazer's right. We got to do this!" Battlebringer nodded.

Foeseer looked at Battlebringer. "But what about Paradise?"

"We need to find her too! She's apart of us.." Stargazer said.

"We need Paradise to complete the prophecy. She's like a sister to us! I don't understand why they didn't take her down here, too." Iceberg said.

"We can grab her along the way. Maybe Sunset could also help out with that." Battlebringer looked at the SkyWing. 

Foeseer smiled. "We hide somewhere and wait until Sunset can free her tomorrow."

"Exactly. We are NOT leaving her behind." Battlebringer said with a serious expression. 

Sunset tilted her head. "Who's Paradise?" 

"The black and red RainWing," Iceberg said, tilting her nose down. 

Sunset narrowed her eyes at Iceberg. "Oh. Her. She's very beautiful."

Foeseer sighed, "Let's run away now and worry about that later. Is there somewhere we can hide?" 

Sunset snapped her wings open. "Below the waterfall, there's a cave only I know about."

Sunset turned, she wrapped her claws around two of the black rocks and picked them up. She stepped into the tunnel, and the fire from the rocks went with her, blazing around her talons. Carefully she piled the fire on the rock floor outside until there was a gap big enough for the dragonet to jump through. 

Foeseer went first. 

Closing her eyes tightly, Stargazer jumped after her.

Battlebringer followed them. 

Iceberg went last, hopping over the heat for a painful second before going into colder air. She sighed in relief.

When they were all out of the tunnel, Sunset rebuilt the wall of fire across the cave entrance. "There." She said with satisfaction. "Now she'll have no idea how you got out." 

"Thank you," Battlebringer said.

Foeseer looked at Sunset. "Can you get these off our wings?"

"Maybe," Sunset said. "But maybe I'll wait until I know you won't leave without saying goodbye."  

"We won't.. We need Paradise first.." Stargazer said.

Battlebringer nodded fiercely. "We would never abandon her like that."

"Yeah!" Iceberg said. "I miss her."

Sunset scowled.

 Foeseer looked at her. "Which way to the waterfall?" 

Sunset nodded and looked up at the tunnel, slithering off, leading the way. 

Stargazer looked nervous under the SkyWing's scowl, but followed silently.

Battlebringer took a deep breath and followed them. 

Iceberg quickly followed after, her head low.

Shortly before they reached the central hall of balconies, the tunnel turned left and began to rise. Sunset signaled for them all to move quietly, and they crept toward the sound of dragons shouting, singing, and smashing things.

Sunset glanced over her shoulder at Iceberg. "Hey," she whispered. "Once your free... what are you going to do?"

"Hmm.. I think we'll meet our parents." Iceberg said. She looked over at the window. 

"Really?" Sunset said. "You'll go straight there? Just the five of you?" 

Iceberg nodded. "Probably.. don't know. Hmm, maybe.. The Rainforest?" 

"Or the Ice Kingdom!" Battlebringer said.

Foeseer stepped heavily on Iceberg's tail, giving her a glare. 

"Ow! What was that for?" Iceberg yelped, pulling her tail away.

Foeseer did a low growl. "You KNOW why." Foeseer then hurried after Sunset.

They had climb two levels, circling behind balconies, when they reached an open doorway and just as wide. They hid around the corner of the tunnel and peeked out.

Iceberg watched with narrow eyes, looking for glints of red scales.

The door led out on to a flat-circle plateau between the cliffs, packed with SkyWings and lit by floating globes full of fire. Most of the SkyWings were wearing gold that sparkled in the fire light. Statues of Queen Comet in different regal poses were scattered about the floor, some carved of marble, some of gold, others of smooth black rock with rubies for eyes.

Iceberg spotted Screech Owl. She pointed to him. "That dragon is getting dangerously close." She hissed.

Frantically looking around, Stargazer grabbed a pebble and passed it to Foeseer. "Throw that to distract him." She whispered.

 Foeseer nodded and threw it at Screech Owl's head.

The rock hit his head and he screeched. He rubbed his forehead.

"Now," Sunset whispered. She then quickly went to the left side of the hall that branched in several directions. Sunset took the one leading down under the cliff where the feast was. The torches was spaced farther apart as they went along, so the tunnel grew darker and darker.

Iceberg raced after Sunset.

They emerged on a narrow ridge halfway up a tall, craggy cliff. By the light of the moons, they could see straight down a glittering, winding river far below.

Foeseer looked at Sunset. "Are you sure you don't want to unbind our wings now?"

"You'll be fine," Sunset said. "It's easy to climb down from here. I've done it when my wings are tired. See? The cave's right there." 

Iceberg peeked over the edge and saw a small gap in the cliff far below, like a tiny gash in the wall behind the waterfall. Iceberg dug her claws into the mountain and began to climb slowly.

"Who's there?" A new voice said. 

Foeseer looked panicked. "Iceberg, wait!" She grabbed Iceberg and threw her back on to where the others were, but accidentally making her fall into the arms of Sunset...

But she wasn't burning... it felt warm for Iceberg.. but she didn't burn to ash.

Sunset looked at her.. "How did you do that?"

"What-!" Iceberg said. "How-!" 

Stargazer's violet eyes widened. "W-what?!" 

Battlebringer widened, his eyes with shock.

Foeseer looked down, guiltily. 

Foeseer interrupted. "Stop gawping! Everybody run!" 

"I don't think so." Said Queen Comet's voice behind them. She spread her wings and turned to Sunset. "Thank you Sunset. You may be excused." 

Sunset gave Iceberg an agonized look and fled up the tunnel.

Battlebringer flipped his head and snarled. "I KNEW it! Traitor!" He yelled after Sunset.

Queen Comet smiled at the Dragonets as SkyWing soldiers began to rain from the sky. "Going somewhere?"