Prologue

⤖ prologue ⬻

"Stop! Please!"

The heavy falls of a pair of footsteps—crashing loudly onto the soaked pavement—could be heard from across the street. The woman ran, panting, clutching her swollen and pregnant belly.

Another pair of footsteps, heavier and paced, followed her through the dark alley.

"No time—" She gasped out through laboured breaths. There was no time to stop, to breathe, to rest. She was in danger, her baby was in danger. She needed to run, no matter the consequences.

The alleyway was dark and cramped. The towering brick walls alongside her loomed and threatened to collapse. Random boxes and objects lay in her path, making her current route a route to hell.

"Give in, Rosa. You can't run forever. Know your limits!"

The voice, deep and accusatory, bellowed. Trailing behind her like a serpentine shadow, it drove right into her mind. Though she refused to accept it, her body began to shake; her footsteps falling uneven. She tripped and stumbled her way through the chaos, the rain, the mess. Three nasty bruises began to purple on her shins, throbbing sorely.

The area surrounding her was terribly lit. Darkness crept in the corners, seeping around her in whisps. The shadows caused her to falter at every turn; she knew not when a dead end would hit, when her escape would become her end. Luck spun its coin, and the blurring edges of her vision dampened to dark spots. They distorted her vision. She knew it was only a matter of time before she fainted or fell.

To her destined fate...

"You're running to nowhere, my dear. We both know you're going to collapse sooner or later. Don't you dare put our child at risk; not even if it concerns yourself or your thoughtless reasons".

"This child has only ever been my own!" She cried. Her voice fell somber to the ground, along with her tears. "You're more of a danger to the child than 'this' will ever be!"

Tears pooled and poured in her eyes like tiny rivers. That man had no right to the child. It had always been hers. Pain surged through her thin legs and arms. The growing belly on her stomach weighed heavily on her thin back, threatening to snap it in half. She was tired and in pain; though the pain was not from her limbs, it was from her heart. It was being torn to shreds, screaming for mercy and shouting for help. Her heartbeats were like sirens—overwhelming... loud... too much...

Her head flooded with emotions. And in a surge... a tsunami of feeling, heat rushed over her, and darkness consumed her whole.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We present you with the Prologue! A little something to tease you into the story :)

Please don't hesitate to notify us if there are any grammar mistakes or if something doesn't add up!

Au revoir!👋